Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How many chopping days till.......

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
This little lot came my way today, I'll be busy with the axe then.

IMG_0558.JPG

I guess we'll not be cold at Turweston.

The Council have been very busy lately round our neck of the woods, clearing fallen timber as the heavy snow we had a couple of weeks ago brought down quite a few trees and huge branches off the some of the larger ones. From what I saw, most of it got put through the chipper.

^^^^^^
Try burning some before you use all your energy splitting it.... that looks like Leylandii.... it's not good fire wood .
Round here they are felling 100's of road side ash trees.... now that's proper fire wood .

With the ash die back, if they're left too long even the biomass chippers can't process it as it's just fluff as it rots from the inside. Therefor worthless as a fuel.

So if an ash tree had leaves last year and it gets to next summer and it has no leaves then get it cut up..

The bigger ash trees pose more problems as the die back advances as during high winds large sections will break off and will indeed cause a lot more problems. Sadly.

Luckily some ash trees are (so far) not affected so these are the stain that new trees can be used to replenish the lost ones. Will take a long time for this to be over come.

Yes ,

We've had to take down 5 or 6 nice mature Ash in the garden ( a couple with 4ft diameter straight trunks for 12 to 15 meters high ) beautiful standards that should have been with us for another 100 years if it wasn't for the incompetent muppets that introduced die back to save a few quid .....

Yet we have others that so far are healthy and resisting it..... latest advice I've heard is to not go early and cut everyone down because some seem to recover ....

We are only taking ones out in the garden that threaten buildings or the people if they drop branches or those that if we leave will not be climbable or reachable with a cherry picker or the like

You're dead right about the wood degenerating and even if stored in dry chords it seems to turn spelted and go soft quicker than non affected trees used to .

Heard the other day there's now something affecting the sweet chestnuts to...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back