Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How much grease?

Justin_Elliott

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I've got to re-lube my UJ's etc....

Is it possible to 'over grease' UJ's or should I pump until 'clean grease' is squeezed out???

Justin_Elliott said:
I've got to re-lube my UJ's etc....

Is it possible to 'over grease' UJ's or should I pump until 'clean grease' is squeezed out???
That's exactly as I did with mine :thumbup: It did seem like alot of pumping :p I think that the key thing more over clean grease comeing out is that grease is comeing out of each bearing seal & not just one or two :D

Good luck & plenty of kitchen roll :)

Warning.

Don't put much grease in the slip yokes, you'll know if youv'e over done it if it starts to vibrate when driving, you'll then need to remove the nipple & drive it up the road to force the excess grease out.

joinerman said:
Warning.

Don't put much grease in the slip yokes, you'll know if youv'e over done it if it starts to vibrate when driving, you'll then need to remove the nipple & drive it up the road to force the excess grease out.

hmm, I greased mine a while ago. Pushed it in until it came out. Since then, I have a funny vibration when underload (load rpm, starting to overtake) and goes away once RPM picks up (torque dropping?). When coasting it was fine, only on overtaking or quick through the gears.

I thought it was becase I had missed one or just not put enough (they were fine before greasing them) so I applied more grease. Problem is still there but less so.

Worth a spin to "empty" them a bit? All excess grease has long since been flung off (done about 1k miles since I greased them)

sae70 said:
That's exactly as I did with mine :thumbup: It did seem like alot of pumping :p I think that the key thing more over clean grease comeing out is that grease is comeing out of each bearing seal & not just one or two :D
If it does only come out of one/two - is this a sign that its on its way out or a blockage etc.. - or is there a trick to steer the grease?
joinerman said:
Warning.

So I'll know when I've gone too far... but roughly how much is 'enough'...

Thanks again!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Justin_Elliott said:
sae70 said:
If it does only come out of one/two - is this a sign that its on its way out or a blockage etc.. - or is there a trick to steer the grease?
No trick, just blocked, keep pumping :| On the other hand :think: Maybe a little heat from a hair dryer or a hot air gun may help :) You'll know when it's on its way out as it will have play in it :)

A little more info with regards the prop shaft slip joint viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10400

I like this quote from Paul on the subject :)

Paul said:
If it is dry/rusty might be worth dropping the end of the shaft off and clean it it up and regrease, just remember to fit back on with the same timing/alignment.

Back