Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How much is your 80 series worth in South Africa?

Wow that is a lot. He will never get that in South Africa.

You can buy a 80 for about R150k = $18k

The trouble he will have is the import duty to be paid after 1 year.
The SA government value your truck and you then pay 100% import duty,

I had sold mine at one time to be shipped but the deal fell through after he discovered the duty to be paid, Thats why no one ships them out.

Good ones in SA are hard to find and can be expensive.

Mal :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-wavegreatbritain:

Regarding the duty to be paid it depends on the circumstances in which you are taking the truck back.

If you are emmigrating back to SA as a returning citizen and have lived out of the country for more than a year and owned the vehicle for more than six months then you don't need to pay any import duty, you do however have to pay an ad valorem tax of 15%. You can take back up to three vehicles in your life but only the first one is exempt from Import Duty. The other two you have to pay 40% import duty on top of the ad valorem tax. The values are based on the value of the vehicle from the country which you are bringing it in from, not the value in South Africa.

I have been looking into this a fair bit as I'll be taking my truck back in a couple of years and am looking into possibly taking a couple more back to sell.

I brought mine in without any import duties and also no VAT :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Busy being registered now. Process with SARS was relatively simple. Dept of Transport is another issue though, but also not a major one.

To register the vehicle you need a few extras (in addition to the documents required by SARS), like weighbridge certificate etc but that is also no big deal.

Ryan Thomson said:
If you are emmigrating back to SA as a returning citizen and have lived out of the country for more than a year and owned the vehicle for more than six months then you don't need to pay any import duty, you do however have to pay an ad valorem tax of 15%. You can take back up to three vehicles in your life but only the first one is exempt from Import Duty. The other two you have to pay 40% import duty on top of the ad valorem tax. The values are based on the value of the vehicle from the country which you are bringing it in from, not the value in South Africa.
Ryan, a minor correction (I have been in email correspondence with ITAC and SARS so have it from the horse's mouth :shifty: ), the import duty is 18% for a vehicle being imported from the EU.

So the duties are 14% VAT, 18% import duty and the Ad Valorem tax is a sliding scale up to 25% dependent on the value of the vehicle. The import duty is payable on every vehicle imported, however the Ad Valorem tax may be waived on the 1st vehicle IF you meet various criteria but this is not a foregone conclusion and SARS will decide (factors like selling your UK house, transferring funds back to RSA, closing bank accounts etc). So the max overall duty on importing as a returning resident is 57% but will be much lower because an old £2k 80 series won't be too high on the Ad Valorem sliding scale :whistle:

It seems that driving your vehicle in as Kev and Matt did is much more effective in terms of duties paid. I think if you ship the vehicle in, customs are waiting for you... :twisted:

Cheers,

Hmmm... Seems the figures have changed since I last looked into it.

Good reason to drive it back though.

The problem with SARS (and this isnt the first time I've encountered this) is it is a horse with many mouths! :lol:

I too have info, from the horses mouth, and its totally different from what they've given you Andrew :? No surprises there I guess. I had it in writing, by email, that according to my circumstances I would not be liable for any duties/fees/charges whatsoever..

Maybe I was just lucky, but when it comes to [strike:sqpwsm3q]stealing[/strike:sqpwsm3q], I mean taxing you, they rarely get it wrong so it favours you! :D

The info I was given by SARS appears to be consistent with the official gazette on the topic. But as always, I'm sure the application of the "rules" is fluid. Obviously if you have it in writing and you haven't had to cough up, then so far so good, Kev :thumbup:
I'm guessing your situation may be a little different as you entered with a carnet rather than a straight import?
Are you finished up with the paperwork now - everything done & dusted? I ask because a few people I know have found a bit of a sting in the tail with the final paperwork. My sis & bro in-law are going through this right now..

No, entered without the carnet. Got the SAD500 and so on.

Only thing left is getting the vehicle registered with Dept of Transport. Waiting for them to come back to me so it can go through roadworthy then it will all be done.

Cool, so you paid no import duty, VAT or Ad Valorem duty? Makes the overland option worth seriously considering as the saving of the taxes and shipping means quite a big fuel credit towards the trip :think:

Yes, no duties or taxes etc! Only a small fee to the 'shipping agents' operating at the border post to fill out the forms on my behalf. :)

Overland ended up costing us more than we expected by a long way, but was definitely worth it, if not financially ;)

Back