Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to film the Earth from space (on a budget ;) awesome vid

Re: How to film the Earth from space (on a budget ;) awesome

Brilliant!

I take it you didn't watch James May's Manlab at Christmas then? They did the same thing with far better results and had two cameras in each of two balloons. One pointing out and one up at the balloon. They recorded the ballon bursting and the descent too. The modules landed 75 kms from the release site and hit 93 000 feet. IIRC.

This is a great achievement, but ML did exactly the same thing, just better with no greater technology. They reckoned it was about £500 for the two balloons all in.

Chris

nope didn't see that Man lab

I also didn't watch Manlab (must try and hunt down that episode I think :) ) but I still think this is impressive - the panorama they have on Flickr is stunning :D

Adrian

I'm guessing James May had more support available to him than your average joe bloggs! The radio club I'm in is messing about with these but haven't got as far as a launch yet.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not really Jon. They took a balloon, made a box, put two cameras in it and let go. What's to support? As I said, the reckoned about £500 for the two balloons that they launched. It was pretty epic. OK they had something sending / logging GPS data I think so that they could follow it to retrieve the footage, but that's got nothing to do with the flight once they let go. I think that these boys had something similar in there. The biggest difference was that May's attempt didn't seem to swing about all the time. It was very stable.

Chris

Chris said:
What's to support?
Financial, technical, logistical, it might look simple and in principle it is, but then so is making a bumper, the devil is in the details ;) Was the stability down to a superior design, or did they just get lucky and hit less turbulence?

Can't say Jon. I just watched the programme and it was better than the efforts of the other two guys. I wasn't actually part of the team. Balloon, box, camera. OK so they made one box in the shape of a budgie and one in the shape of a cat. Other than that I didn't see a difference. Maybe that was the highly technical detail that was the key to their success :roll:

Difficult if you didn't see it really. Maybe as you say it wasn't so windy on that day. But once in the upper atmos, I don't think there is a lot of wind.

Chris

I have to say (and this is strange I know) but the (ex) scientist in me found the upper atmosphere turbulence they experienced one of the most interesting aspects of the whole thing. I would assume (and I didn't watch the James May program) that these guys 'box' was lighter and therefore more sensitive but that is justa guess.

Adrian

The James May attempt was one of the best 'ManLab' features they've done.

The underlying raison d'etre was to scatter the ashes of a cat and a canary into the upper atmosphere - so the ashes were in the two balloons :lol: .

One balloon was filled with Hydrogen, the other with Helium . . One would have thought that the lighter Hydrogen balloon would have gone higher, but it was the first to burst (might have been due to higher initial pressure :think: ).

Why do I wish I had a job like Sim's :mrgreen: .

Excellent.

Bob.

BobMurphy said:
One would have thought that the lighter Hydrogen balloon would have gone higher, but it was the first to burst (might have been due to higher initial pressure :think: ).
I think it's just because the Hydrogen balloon would have expanded more so reached bursting point sooner but I'm sure someone who actually knows will put me right :)

Back