Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How would you value the olympic medals ?

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi All,

Olympics.

There are the three medals available

Gold
Silver
Bronze

If you were to "attach" points to them, what would they be for each medal?

For example

Gold = 6
Silver = 3
Bronze = 1

How much better is a "gold" than a "silver" ?
How much better is a silver than the lowly bronze?

Lets have some time wasting, and lets see how each of us values a gold, compared to the others?

Maybe a gold is 10 ?

Gra.

At the end of the day, we usually only remember who won, might in a few cases remember 2nd and almost never the 3rd place. So from that point of view, a Gold medal is *much* better than Silver and so on..... So I'd say 75, 20, 5.

However, let's imagine the 100m final, the Gold medal winner does 9.75s, the Silver 9.79s and Bronze 9.83s - in that case, could you say that the Gold is worth that much more than the Silver or Bronze???.......it's simply an epic race!!! :cool: :clap:

We are lucky this time as we may actually see a 100m final with times similar to the above *example* :shock: :cool:

Gold = sponsorship deals, fame and fortune
Silver = opinion asked on BBC One Show
Bronze? = D'you want fries with that?

C

Chris said:

C
:lol: :lol:

Chris said:

C
Very true.

We can all seem to remember a "Gold" winner, but unfortunately, very few Silver, and certainly never any 3rd place are remembered.

Gold then to me, I would revalue it from my initial

to

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Graham said:
Chris said:

C
Very true.

We can all seem to remember a "Gold" winner, but unfortunately, very few Silver, and certainly never any 3rd place are remembered.

Gold then to me, I would revalue it from my initial

to

Gra.

I may be having a daft moment but why
and not just
???

It wasn't me -------Honest--------
It was Chas that came up with all the big numbers :lol:

Gra

Graham said:
It wasn't me -------Honest--------
It was Chas that came up with all the big numbers :lol:

Gra
I was thinking along the lines of percentages ie; Gold 100% and so on. :think:

Have I got this right? Gra started with Gold 6, Silver 3 and Bronze1. No prob with that.

Then he went to 100, 40, 20 which Chris Green90 rightly noted is the same as 10, 4, 2.

Funny, but 10, 4, 2 is also 5, 2, 1; so Gra went from:

Gold from 6 down to 5 = -1 or more accurately -17%;
Silver from 3 down to 2 = -1 again or more accurately -33% (double the reduction of the Gold); and
Bronze stayed at 1 (no change).

If these were currency exchanges, we should have all invested in Bronze, not Gold reserves to hedge against the crisis! That's where the bank's went wrong! :thumbup: Cracked it!

:whistle: :think: :roll:

Ok,OK,OK,

Here I found some thing

It's about as clear as mud, so take with a pinch of any thing

Wiki Medal value

Half way down - WEIGHTED RANKING

The Brits have used 5:3:1 in 1908
The Aussies used 3:2:1 in 2004
The New Your Times used 4:2:1 in 2008

So what a load of rubbish this all turned out to be.

So, who wins the Olympics if one country has 40 golds, and another has 41 golds?
And who wins the Olympics if 1 country has totally 100 collective medals?
and another country has totally 101 collective medals.?

Just a bit of light hearted banter, but I would like to see China beat USA in gold, silver, bronze, and totally, :thumbup: :thumbup: not that I am biased or any thing.

Gra.

IMO the Olympics are unique in that it's the only occasion where every country has a chance to represent itself in one place and at one time, and better still in these modern times, with all of the world watching and taking part at a distance. It will never be without controversy, especially as over time, personal bests, national, international and world records continue to be broken and atheletes are getting closer and closer to the absolute limit of performance.

The doping issues, racial intolerances, national pride, politics, irrational biases and all the rest of the crap that gets drawn into the Olympics have not stopped it from functioning, but I'm afraid that some day it will. And once gone it will never come back.

It would be a change to see it getting more positive support rather than all the criticism that it gets.

Yes Gra, the Brit cycling fiasco was alarming and brought home to many some of the failures of the rules, but the Committee should strive to fix these loop-hole rules for the benefit and protection of the Olympics itself.

I followed some blogs on the matter after the event and the level of behaviour of some individuals was appalling. Open debate degraded into personal, sexual and racial insults that nobody could be proud of. If that's an indicator of the level that the human race has reduced itself to, then we're finished before we can fix it.

On a lighter note, as intended by this thread, it's fine to joke about who's the 'winner' but IMO the spirit of the Olympics should be more about personal achievement against the rest of the world's personal bests and not how many gold's or medals a country can amass at any cost, human or otherwise.

When you consider the devotion of individual atheletes to the sport and the pride they deserve when they get the chance to represent their country at the Olympics, for all this energy and emotion to be twisted into political and national propoganda by people that have no real interest in sport at all, is a disgrace. The old Eastern Bloc approach to state sponsored atheletics was very damaging and has all but passed since it's demise. Let's sieze this opportunity to get the Olympics back on track and back to its origins.

I've just re-read this post and it's way to long and serious :doh: , but I think it's a shame that the Olympics doesn't get more support for what it's supposed to be.

On the same lighter note, I'm as nationalistic as the next and and I don't care who beats the Americans, as long as they get beaten! :shock:

Thanks for the thread Graham :thumbup:

Back