Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HT vs AT tyres - comfort and economy vs longevity and off road ability

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
Now I know this is a perennial topic of conversation amongst 4X4 owners and especially on LC forums and there is never really any genuine consensus but please humour me for a moment... :icon-wink:

I'm currently running 265/75R16 Hankook RT10 tyres - these are LT rated ATs, which I find adequate on tarmac and have been fine on the few times that I have taken the truck off road. One of the last times was at Lincomb a couple of years ago, where other than a moment of "user error", they performed well in the muddy tracks and I didn't even need low-range. They're not as aggressive an AT as BFG or GG AT2s but as they are LT rated and pumped up to 35psi or so, the ride can be quite harsh. The tyres have done about 30k miles and still look new! :shock: So it's not like I need a new set of rubbers.

This is the spare, which actually is new!
LC_wheels008.jpg

However this is my thinking......I might be increasing the usage of the truck in the next year+ and my mileage may increase to 15-18k per annum - all tarmac miles (currently less than 10k). In view of that, I'm considering moving to a HT tyre, such a Toyo Open Country H/T or Cooper Discoverer CTS - these are more "car" like and passenger rated, so should be more frugal and ride better.

Both of those I can get in the 265/75 size which I prefer other the OEM 265/70 size, which makes my truck a bit under-tyred with the SL etc.Or I can go with 275/70s which are also quite common and very similar in diameter.

I haven't done any sums but I'm hoping that the change may improve my consumption by 2-3 mpg and that the tyres will have paid for themselves after a year or so. I can always flog the Hankooks on eBay as they have loads of wear left. I might regain some of the ride comfort I seem to have lost following the Ironman SL and move to AT tyres (I know, I know, I must be getting old!! :icon-rolleyes:). This is something that I would really like to get back, especially if I am spending more time/miles in the truck.

As always, appreciate your thoughts and comments. :thumbup:

Another vote here for the coopers. I ran about 20,000 miles on a set with my truck and never had a problem. 520 treadwear so they wear very very slowly. Good traction on a wet field and snow as well.
1461867_10202436363420332_283606848_n.jpg

Thanks guys - some food for thought there. Might take a closer look at the various options in the sizes mentioned, seem to make a difference to availability and price.

Back