Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hy all - I am new here and looking for advise

Lars

Country Flag
australia
Hi,
I am a 53 yo male moving to the Sunshine Coast in November from Germany with my wife and 15 yo boy - so we need a car
I have not owned a Landcruiser (I did own a Hilux 4x4 when I was young) but as we want to go to Moreton Island and a bit up the coast and inland and like something that has a plenty of space I think a Landy would suit us just fine and we all really like the one friends of us have.
The problem is that I do not know anything and would appreciate any help which series to buy and how much I need to spend in order to get one that does not need lots of moneys sunk into in order to make it reliable. I am not a mechanic but know how to use my hands.
The budget atm is $8,000 but I might be able to stretch that to 10,000 if need be - is that realistic?
Thanks to anyone who is willing to help with advise

Welcome to the forum Lars, wishing you good fortune in your new life in OZ!

Not that I have much knowledge of the OZ market, I get the impression that you're spoilt for choice there, with 4x4s.

I have no idea of prices, but the whole choice process will be a series of compromises.

For comfort and space, and because I love 'em, I'd recommend an 80 or a 100 (hundee) or if you want to do some serious off-roading a 105.

They're all tough, big and comfy.

Trouble is, even the younger 80s are getting a bit old, and unless you find a good low mileage one, or one that's already been diligently refurbed, you'll have to do a degree of renovation, usually the front axle, oil seals, wheel bearings, CVs and the like which don't come cheap. The upside is that when they are refurbed, they're strong and will give you years of service.

Other than that, smaller trucks would include the Hilux, the variants in the 70 series or going a bit more modern, the 95.

Landys are not recommended, unless your ambitions Centre on becoming a full-time mechanic.:lol:

Someone from OZ will soon be along to assist with better info...

You will get a newer lamedrover at the same price as an older Landcruiser for a very good reason

999ede0a8f6fe194baf9a9bc571ab3f1.jpg

Nice one Shayne!

BTW, what does your 90 want to be when it grows up?

Seriously though Landcruiser are world renowned for thier strength and reliability , if i was looking for one i a warm dry country a 1 owner truck that looked tidy would likely be my choice regardless of mileage . Which series of cruiser is best depends on your individual needs but they are all the best in class .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not sure it will mate living life to excess might have stunted its growth but i suppose it will get old and tired eventually :think: it will probably morph into something blue with barn doors .

Ha ha :laughing-rolling:

Heaven forbid :lol:

Back