Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I am going mad - potential BJ40 owner

warren elliott

Country Flag
great_britain
Thinking about getting a classic BJ40 (pre 1982) and would like some guidance before potentially ruining my life.

I like classics and have owned cortinas, datsuns and guzzling mercs in the past and want something equally as fun. It will be my daily run about in London but I need something a little bigger to put energetic kids in. Camping etc.

Probably going to risk it but need to check if this purchase going to cost me a fortune (fuel, tax and insurance)?

Any guidance on running costs is much appreciated!

Thanks

Warren

Welcome Warren. A few 40 owners here - hopefully someone will chime in.

Are they not considered classic now so things like MOT, tax etc are minimal?
Fuel? If you're using it as a run-about in London then I suspect that is either going to hurt or you shouldn't really worry about it. Probably get mid-high teens out of mpg?

Where are you looking to buy one from?

C.

Hi Crispin

Thanks for your response.

I have always wanted one so I think I'll get it. Its a LHD import from Portugal that needs a little love but that suits me. I have never been a finished article car driver.

I get stung in London on insurance which is going to be around £800, because its 1981 I have to pay tax which I think is £500 for first year then £250 per year until tax free hits in 2021.

But money aside I just want the family to have fun driving around everywhere. Never liked boring new sensible cars!

Probably a stupid question to ask if owners love their cars, just a thought of how much pain the average BJ40 owner goes through!

My cortina was a joy and never had major issues, I also have a convertible 70s bug which gives me no end of grief but still love the rickity drive.

Cheers again

Warren

Hi Warren,
I drive a bj46. Very simple and reliable mechanic. Really fun in summer wthout the top. fuel consumption in the city will be around 20-23 mpg.
i don't know anything about MOT or taxes in uk.
no powersteering, so good training for your biceps when parking.
it's a harsh ride, so the family will be shaken up after a long drive.
They rust!
they rust very badly!!! Don't drive it when there is salt on the road !!
I use it to drive around at the holiday cottage in the belgian Ardennes, to get firewood or to pull a tree out of the forest. It's fantastic for short runs and pottering around in the village. Other drivers actually wave at you and give you thumbs up because it has loads of character and does look very nice. I don't use it for long trips, it's too agricultural and the noise and vibrations get on your nerves.

Last edited:
They rust!
they rust very badly!!! Don't drive it when there is salt on the road !!
If you're getting a fixer-upper then might it be a good idea to do what @TobyJug did / was going to do and get it galvanised? I don't think it was that much. Would just be the bare chassis though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks guys.

Ill let you know how I get on.
Hi Warren,

Over the years I have owned many 40's both gas and diesel BJ variants, lots of fun, tractorlike torque and the B motor sips the diesel. I have used one in Central America as a daily driver. Depending on your threshold, road trips are no issue, I've driven mine to Nicaragua and Panama from Costa Rica where I live, slow but steady and excellent mileage. I have a couple nice cruisers available should you want something turnkey, PM me if you like...

how much pain the average BJ40 owner goes through ?????

Take your time to get the right truck. Over the years I've mostly had unusual cars but after a couple of years with each, I would usually want a change but not so with my 40. I've had her for 14 years and I figure we'll be together for many more (she'll outlast me!). Only other vehicle that came anywhere near was an mid 80s Audi Quattro but even that went eventually.

Ours is a DD and you will find in towns that it can be hard work (P/s helps) but the size is imposing and most modern stuff is scared to come too near and you get a good view. But be careful of shop windows 'cos you'll find yourself looking at the reflection of your truck! Of course the city is not its natural habitat but it is nice to have something that makes the taxi drivers think twice!

No idea about tax etc as we don't live in the UK but when we did we had the truck on a classic insurance policy.

Pain??? Our truck is 39 years old and has had a reasonably hard life but we still have the original wiring loom (unlike some other 4x4s) and all round excellent reliability. No pain just pleasure. It's a pleasure to maintain them as well as it is simple, basic, survivalist construction and parts are available in Europe and just about every other country worldwide.

The MPG won't be great in the city and the comfort probably won't match your previous classics but the'giggles per mile' will be outstanding!

i build land cruisers for a living, i have owned diesel 40s in 1981. i know them very well.
painful ownership? can be, depending on what the previous owners have done to it or the lack of maintenance. RUST, is a serious problem. 69-74 has the best bodies. 75-78 are not bad but rust much worse than the early models. 79-84 are crap bodies, they rust just looking at rain or salt.
up to 74 you had the old F engine coupled to the 3 speed, 74 was the first year of the 4 speed., drum brakes all around, odd ball parts to find, upper wiper system, cool lift back upper and swing out half doors rear. the front doors are very basic with the cool flip 1/4 windows.
the 75 to 78 had the 2F with 4 speed. lower wipers, usually bucket seats, roll bar and disc brakes in most countries. this was also the first generation of the B series engine. the B series is the best on fuel, the most gutless and the hardest to find parts for.
the 79 to 84(85 in some countries) are the 3B coupled to a 4 speed or 5 speed depending the year. they are also the easiest to find parts for. flip our rear 1/4 windows in the back side make for nice air flow when the top is on.

Me, i like the early version. i love the old metal simplicity but i drive an all fiberglass 82 with turbo'd and intercooled 3B, 5 speed and swapped in 3.70 gears. this give the old girl decent pep, great fuel mileage, low exhaust gas temperatures.

Back