Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I hope this isn’t true…if it is, it could make the internet virtually unusable

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
…and more importantly it could make forums like this virtually unworkable beyond chat.

Copyright sounds far less foreboding than censorship .............. doesn't it :puke-front:

last time I checked Scotland was part of the EU, at the moment anyway!
There are significant issues around preserving the integrity of individuals artistic output which has been eroded by the internet. writers, photographers,musicians etc have a right to have their work protected.
Does this piece of legislation do that, or is it a step too far? I don't know.
would I take the word of an conspiracy theorist American prepper on European legislation? probably not!

Every debate on here discussing the world at large is loaded with links to back up the individuals argument and every link now comes under the EU remit in the guise of "artistic output" its mass censorship and i personally would like to see Google and the likes fight back EU style by requiring the user to pay 1 million dollars to access any online content from supporters such as Paul McCartney .

Juncker has got so drunk now he's publicly waffling on about world domination :doh:

I can't see (or at least hear) the video because I have a stupid phone that means 99.9% of all headphones ever produced won't fit the jack socket but I do know that the link doo dah doesn't apply to links. Only when a site aggregates snippets of info from a link. So if you Google a famous person, or thing, you often get a box on the right hand side of the screen with a summary of that thing. That's the bit sites might have to pay for, if anyone can work out how to charge and police it. Posting a hyperlink is specifically exempted from what is being discussed.

Also this whole shebang is a directive, not a law. Individual EU states can chose how they interpret and enforce it. I imagine we'll get the same splash screens GDPR has pushed, such that trying to access some US based sites gets you an apology they won't show in the EU because they haven't worked out their liability under GDPR yet; Washington Post had this although they seem to just ask you to click OK to some words before accessing much like cookie warnings on other sites do.

If anyone's interested the directive is here (Article 11 is the link posting directive) http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides...//NONSGML+TA+P8-TA-2018-0337+0+DOC+PDF+V0//EN and I'll await my non-existent link-posting bill from Brussels.

Every debate on here discussing the world at large is loaded with links to back up the individuals argument and every link now comes under the EU remit in the guise of "artistic output" its mass censorship and i personally would like to see Google and the likes fight back EU style by requiring the user to pay 1 million dollars to access any online content from supporters such as Paul McCartney .

Juncker has got so drunk now he's publicly waffling on about world domination :doh:

If you look at article 11 they even put this bit in bold for you, Shayne.

2a. The rights referred to in paragraph 1 shall not extend to mere hyperlinks which are accompanied by individual words.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I will have to take your word for it Rob i didn't watch the video on this thread and i won't read anything the EU wants me to read . Its a failure on my part i know but i'm sorry to admit blind hatred for this undemocratic totalitarian regime has replaced all rational thought on the subject for me .

They are touting Macron as the new leader - a man who berated a random child in a crowd for not addressing him as one might a God :wtf: seriously i'm beginning to wonder if even Adolph Hitler had a better grasp on reality .

Here's a neutral article looking at the pros and cons and as Rob says, none of it is law yet. https://www.wired.co.uk/article/wha...ean-directive-on-copyright-explained-meme-ban . Having come from an content-producing industry that was destroyed by Google I always get a wry smile when anyone suggests what Google presents you in a search result is what you are looking for rather than what they want you to see. Google, Facebook and Amazon have simply created huge new monopolies in various sectors e.g. search monopoly, shopping monopoly, online advertising oligopoly.

This is exactly what I hoped would happen when I posted this. That those in the know would be able to dilute what the vid said. The UK will probably be the only state to rush this through as a law before Brexit. I hope I’m joking. :)

I will have to take your word for it Rob i didn't watch the video on this thread and i won't read anything the EU wants me to read . Its a failure on my part i know but i'm sorry to admit blind hatred for this undemocratic totalitarian regime has replaced all rational thought on the subject for me .

They are touting Macron as the new leader - a man who berated a random child in a crowd for not addressing him as one might a God :wtf: seriously i'm beginning to wonder if even Adolph Hitler had a better grasp on reality .
It's rather difficult to comment on something you haven't even bothered to watch or read

This is exactly what I hoped would happen when I posted this. That those in the know would be able to dilute what the vid said. The UK will probably be the only state to rush this through as a law before Brexit. I hope I’m joking. :)
We do tend to take on the most ridiculous EU directives while everyone else ignores them!

What can i say ........... EU for me has come to signal erupt unreasonably .

I read enough to know that they have no idea what laws they are introducing or why or for what goal - other than more control , so when this guy says its a bad thing i'm inclined to believe him https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee
From the inventor of the internet, that has to hold a lot of weight.

From the inventor of the internet, that has to hold a lot of weight.

He didn't invent the internet but I'm glad to see we are back to valuing the opinions of experts. I'm waiting on Shayne to quote Mark Carney next :)

He didn't invent the internet but I'm glad to see we are back to valuing the opinions of experts. I'm waiting on Shayne to quote Mark Carney next :)
But he is the man credited with the creation of it, is he not?

Here's a neutral article looking at the pros and cons and as Rob says, none of it is law yet. https://www.wired.co.uk/article/wha...ean-directive-on-copyright-explained-meme-ban . Having come from an content-producing industry that was destroyed by Google I always get a wry smile when anyone suggests what Google presents you in a search result is what you are looking for rather than what they want you to see. Google, Facebook and Amazon have simply created huge new monopolies in various sectors e.g. search monopoly, shopping monopoly, online advertising oligopoly.
im not over keen on the fact that ebay, facebook, amazon, Microsoft, apple etc are such a integral part of peoples lives, for business and pleasure...

im not over keen on the fact that ebay, facebook, amazon, Microsoft, apple etc are such a integral part of peoples lives, for business and pleasure...
If they all stopped working we’d have to go back to Good ol’ Yellow Pages, and you can almost see through them these days. :)

Back