Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I know I know.... another tyre question... sorry

Ciderman

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hello fellow nutters.

I currently have Continental Cross Contact M&S 265/70 R16's fitted on my original 8J 1993 alloys.
They have exceeded 30'000 road miles now and looking almost ready for renewal.

However - there doesn't seem to be any more of these available in 265 or wider.
I'm gutted because they're literally the best tyres I've EVER used on the landcruiser. No loss of traction in any weather and wear is phenomenal. Road noise is minimal and they just work.

So, I'm looking at Yokohama Geolander A/T G015's.

Two questions...
1 - What is your honest opinion of the these and are they a good all weather road tyre with good wear? Must be some of you using them?
2 - I want to go wider, like 275 or 285 if that's possible. Will they mount ok on a standard 8J landcruiser alloy? I'm on standard height suspension also.

There is the issue of possible rubbing, but I already run 30mm spacers all round - so hopefully that's enough to keep them from rubbing of full lock?

I was looking at Toyo also - but they seem to have poor reviews for wet weather tarmac grip.

I know this is a topic that's been done to death - and I will accept a public flaming, but I've searched and searched - and getting either totally contrary for and against - or confusing results.

The geolandars g015 are a good tyre, will last you 40k+ they perform really well on the road in dry/wet and light snow conditions and are acceptable basic performance in sand and gravel and shallow mud;

just keep in mind they are not a LT tyre in all sizes.

The geolandars g015 are a good tyre, will last you 40k+ they perform really well on the road in dry/wet and light snow conditions and are acceptable basic performance in sand and gravel and shallow mud;

just keep in mind they are not a LT tyre in all sizes.
Thank you so much for the reply.... as for the LT mention, is that for Light Truck - meaning heavy loading?

Hiya

I've got GO15s on both my Sprinter 4x4 and my Hilux. As GOK says, they're a decent enough tyre, work well on road and wear slowly. Downsides are that they're a pretty mild AT pattern, so not great in mud, and personally I thought the entire carcass is lighter weight than say a BFG or Cooper. If you're doing 90% road miles then I would recommend them, if you're planning on driving across Africa, maybe go for something more heavy duty. And as mentioned, you'll need to check the load rating against the truck, but that applies to any tyre really.

We're running Cooper SSTs on the 80 series on the stock alloys in 285/75/16, +2" Pedders lift - no issues with fouling or rubbing.

Hiya

I've got GO15s on both my Sprinter 4x4 and my Hilux. As GOK says, they're a decent enough tyre, work well on road and wear slowly. Downsides are that they're a pretty mild AT pattern, so not great in mud, and personally I thought the entire carcass is lighter weight than say a BFG or Cooper. If you're doing 90% road miles then I would recommend them, if you're planning on driving across Africa, maybe go for something more heavy duty. And as mentioned, you'll need to check the load rating against the truck, but that applies to any tyre really.

We're running Cooper SSTs on the 80 series on the stock alloys in 285/75/16, +2" Pedders lift - no issues with fouling or rubbing.
With your 285/75's did you notice a huge drop in power?
Also, did the extra width have any adverse effect on normal tarmac driving?

I find driving mine with the 265/70's, its effortless but always a bit of a landslug when driving up any major hills...

No material difference at all. 285s seem much better balanced to the size of the truck and improved overall ride quality. Maybe a slight impact of mpg, but nothing worth talking about. 285s are really common on 80 series.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No material difference at all. 285s seem much better balanced to the size of the truck and improved overall ride quality. Maybe a slight impact of mpg, but nothing worth talking about. 285s are really common on 80 series.
Thats excellent news... I've calculated that the additional profile from 70 to 75 will give an extra 2" of overall diameter - which is what i was looking for.
I'm on standard height suspension, soon to be refreshed with the Pedders standard height stiffer springs - but will restore about 2.5" of ride height, basically back to the stock height.
I've always felt that the 265/70s looked a bit too small - so hoping the extra diameter on the 75s will look more like its supposed to.
I'm reluctant to change the wheel diameter from 8J 16" and also the OEM alloys are renowned for being indestructible.

I've made up my mind then, a set of Toyo Open Country A/T Plus - 285/75 R16 with 116 load rating.
I would have preferred Yokohamas but they don't really do a decent road 285/75.

I can tell you for sure going from a 235 to a 285 has an impact on the 1hz :) but we don't talk about that in public.
Oooouuufff... well i have the 1-HDT... so will i need a yellow flashing beacon like one of Fred Dibnahs traction engines?

I am sure you will not even notice the extra rubber, other than a bit of how it handles,.and Evan that should be very little difference

Only thing to be aware of is if you have a manual going to 285/75/16s is right at the upper limit gear ratio wise for towing...
Unloaded or loaded with just the vehicle isn't an issue but with a trailer and any amount of load 1st becomes too tall for hill starts etc ....also on mine the speedo has become 100% accurate so if you're used to going into a 30 limit at say 34 indicated you will be in fine territory on 285's .
I'm going to change to auto diffs at some point to bring the ratio back down .... that said on a recent trip of 1200 miles towing a big tandem axle Ifor Williams with the Jeep on the back we averaged 26 to 28 mpg on the motorway....better than a friends Disco 4 with the same type of load so the upgearing can work in your favour.

Only thing to be aware of is if you have a manual going to 285/75/16s is right at the upper limit gear ratio wise for towing...
Unloaded or loaded with just the vehicle isn't an issue but with a trailer and any amount of load 1st becomes too tall for hill starts etc ....also on mine the speedo has become 100% accurate so if you're used to going into a 30 limit at say 34 indicated you will be in fine territory on 285's .
I'm going to change to auto diffs at some point to bring the ratio back down .... that said on a recent trip of 1200 miles towing a big tandem axle Ifor Williams with the Jeep on the back we averaged 26 to 28 mpg on the motorway....better than a friends Disco 4 with the same type of load so the upgearing can work in your favour.
Hi Grimbo, you know what... that is exactly the info i was looking for but didnt really ask the question - if that makes sense!
I figured the larger rolling circumference would add a bit of extra load but once up to speed and cruising, would benefit fuel economy. At the actual 70mph (80 indicated) the engine is racing.
The reason for the original question was really down to me wanting fatter tyres, for that decent stance that fits the width of the arches better.
However, i also have original springs and they've settled by over 2 inches at the rear and the fronts definitely hit the bump-stops on traffic humps. The truck is looking rather Volvo estate 245'esque... :tearsofjoy:

So, with a fresh set of original height springs, i was worried the 70 profile tyres would look like shopping trolly castors under it with the extra 2 inches restored... hence, looking at 75's.
Didn't want to ditch the Toyota 16" alloys, but from what you've said, maybe i should just stick with 265/70s.... oh the dilemma :sweatsmile::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I would say if you are never or very occasionally tow then you will not have a problem...
OE was 275/70/16 but they seem to be very rare.... I had 265/75/16 with a 2 inch lift and they didn't look out of place with a 2 inch lift but were chunky AT tyres

Yeah, I don't tow very often with ours, with a light trailer you don't notice it at all, but I could see if you were towing a car on a trailer it could be more a concern. As Grimbo says, though, unless this is likely to be a regular requirement, I wouldn't worry too much.

And to add if you've an auto I don't think you will notice even towing a heavy load.... it's only an issue for me with 3 tons plus and a manual box and then only on steep hill starts fully freighted

And to add if you've an auto I don't think you will notice even towing a heavy load.... it's only an issue for me with 3 tons plus and a manual box and then only on steep hill starts fully freighted
Mines manual, but i rarely tow anything.
You're saying all the right things here... might just pull the pin and go for the 285/75's and if it doesn't work out... I'm sure someone will be happy for a set of barely worn Toyo Open Country boots :laughing:
I will miss that faux safety net of always being under the indicated speed though... I'll just have to learn some discipline for the first time in my life :innocent:

Back