Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ice

karl wester said:
luck never seems to come my way cris. i just have to struggle on. At first it seemed solid. I thought bat was flat. Bats were ok so i then swaped 24v start soloined. No joy there so i took the 12v switch feed off the starter and put power direct to that and then got it to turn over but very very slow. i then took cap off the rad and it was more solid than a slush puppy drink. Ive put boiling water in the rad but no joy. Maybe i have more than one problem here. Cold may have killed somthing on the starting system. Thats why im going to put a starter on it tomoz and see where we go from there.
karl
be extremely wary of just starting the truck- if the block has frozen you are going to have all sorts of issues- likely to have popped a core cap, might have warped the head (although unlikely on the dry lined 1HD-T), if you start it you are at serious risk of localised overheating, if not full blwon engine overheating. In the long term not using enough coolant, and using tap water can result in a destroyed rad either through "furring- up" of the tubes, or through expansion of the water in the rad.

Really depends on how frozen the engine actually is- slush in the rad isn't a good indicator of how cold the block is - the specific heat of solid Iron is very different to the specific heat of a water filled rad.

Do any of the internal electrics come on? cold can kill batteries quite well- especially with a bit of a charge drain.

One of the best things you can do is add some heat- a hot hair dryer left on in the engine bay can make a surprising difference if left on for hours- or a radiation heater under the vehicle pointed upwards will also help- convection heaters won't work.

What you really need to do is drop the fluid fmro the engine and replace with proper toyota red stuff- which iirc protects down to about -34 in it pre-mixed form- we're never going to get that cold in the UK, so pre-mixed should do you fine. You can buy concentrated but ideally you really should use de-ionised condensed water to mix.

I hadnt read the last post by pugwash until i came in from the cold. Veggie mux is running and has been for a while now. The rad was defo frozen/semi frozen i put my bbq under it before i went to the yard for another starter motor as the other was shot. Put starter on it turned the key and yet again nothing. I put jump leads on it from two other motors and only way to start it was by putting a direct feed down to the starter solinoid switch wire. Maybe the cold has got to part of the wireing or something. I had it before with other trucks and ended up just running a seperate switch into the car that i have to turn at the same time as the ignition. I will try and get to the problem at some point soon. But for now antifreeze time. Hopefully lucky escape this time
karl

Ainti freeze done and he starts on the key again. Turned out to be a broken wire on the 24v solenoide that i swaped yesterday
karl

karl wester said:
Ainti freeze done and he starts on the key again. Turned out to be a broken wire on the 24v solenoide that i swaped yesterday
karl
That must have been a relief Karl :thumbup:

Just a bit chas. The rad was defo frozen/semi frozen yesterday but All seems good now and i have my antifreeze in. Going to check everything else now to make sure it doesnt happen to any other truck
karl

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back