Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Iceland - winter trip 2012

mherbert

Just thought you may be interested in a recent trip in Iceland, where we did a lot of snow driving in our Toyota Landcruisers. Ice and "krappi" water under the snow were some of the hazards. However our trip was cut short after my truck blew a hole in one of the pistons, caused by a faulty injector, eventually resulting in a new block, pistons, and injectors, fortunately paid by Toyota.
Anyhow this is a link to some of the photos of the trip. Will post a video later.

http://dreki.no/album/2012 Iceland winter trip/index.html

Mike

Thanks Mike, there's some beautiful pictures there, looking foward to the video :thumbup:

Wow that looks fantastic.

Sorry to hear about the mishap though. Glad Mr. T stumped up for the repairs :thumbup:

Some amazing pictures there :o :cool:

I love those Artic Trucks LCs :cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Astounding images.

What size tyres are on the 120 series there?

Looking awesome with the huge arches.

Gra.

Great pics.

The trucks look good. I dont think driving on ice would be for me :shock:

I would love the smow driving though :thumbup:

Karl

Great pics and the 120's look excellent :thumbup:

The video is coming up private so cant view it.

Joe

Terrific video, that's somewhere I would love to go one day :thumbup:

Absolutely stunning photos Mike :clap: Especially the aurora shots. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Even thought the Land Cruisers are specially modified for the terrain it must be worrying when they break through the snow and ice! Unfortunate that the engine failed, but glad Toyota sorted it for you, and now the new parts should have eliminated a re occurrence.

What were the temperatures like, and how much day light did you have?

Edit - I just watched the video, Stunning!! I'd love to have a go at that. Those 120's take a pounding, and that water must be so cold when your fording the fast flowing rivers. What an adventure :thumbup:

The weather in March can be cold up on the glaciers down to -20 - 25C but its the wind that is the killer. March is good as the days are pretty long and the light is good for photos....and of course its a good time for the Northern lights. :) :)

Just got back from another trip to Iceland which was fun...and it only rained for 5-10 mins in 6 days which is definitely unusual! :D :D

Here us another video which includes some clips from the last trip...

[youtube:17i8y38l]W5GOirIxGwE[/youtube:17i8y38l]

Mike

Wow. How much of iceland could a regular LC do in winter? I'm guessing the proper offroad snow is out of bounds, but the rest of the road network and sights?

Back