Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ignition barrel replacement

CANEX

Country Flag
england
Just a quick note in case anyone has the misfortune to need to replace their ignition barrel.
It's actually very easy - if you have the key & it will turn to the accessory position.
There is a small 'button' on the top of the barrel you can get to by removing the trim just below the speedo clocks -press it in with a small screwdriver when the key is vertical -you can feel it go down - and it just pulls out! About £66 from the main dealer & if you give them the chassis number it comes to fit your existing key - so no lock or key change
barrel001.jpg

barrel002.jpg

as you can see the button has been 'removed' in the photo - where the red rings are.
I hope it helps someone in the future - I thought I was going to have to drill it out or break the steering lock off!

cheers
Chris

Thanx. This is good info. Hope it's still another 10 yrs till i need it :)

Hi, I have the same issue and have removed the barrel. This has had it and Toyota want £ 460-00 for this part. Does anybody know where I can source this part cheaper

220 US$ from mamayama + shipping etc

Mine was nowhere near that - it was a few years ago but like I said it was £66 !!
Sounds like they are trying to charge you for the whole thing rather than just the barrel. Probably with 2 new keys & some other bits.
The only part number I can find is
69057-60490
but I think that is with a cut key

Okay, my barrel has failed. I have the trims off but struggling with what to press... There is a white plastic thing where your red circles are Canex which look like an electrical connector but I am very good at breaking things like this so am being cautious at the moment!

Any further advise/input is appreciated!

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Update:

Canex, you need to know what is up & what is down! Button is underneath the assembly :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I have extracted the barrel & the long brass coloured arm sticking out the end on your pictures does not move up when the key is turned... The electrical connector I mentioned above is a cam switch. I suspect that if I held that in & used long nosed pliers to turn the spade inside the housing it would start.

Now to try & find a replacement!

Cheers

I should be able to get them. Do you have the part number?

Hey KW, Simon Holton has given me 89073-60212.

He's also given me a locksmith company down south to try for a repair.

You wouldn't have a hundy ignition barrel kicking about would you?

Cheers

So, its not the barrel that's broken, its the shaft behind it that has snapped... Cheapo monkey metal...

Struggling to get it out at the moment but its more having the time to do it - hundy is stranded in the work carpark :laughing:

I used this video

and this part

to cheaply repair my ignition after the shaft broke and left me with a car that I could not switch off (had to pop hood and disconnect a relay

Chris this is a great post - 8 years on and still useful - thanks very much - will be swapping out my ignition barrel shortly

Can anyone shed some light on the above post? I ordered the part that was attached to the video, 2 posts up from this one and it is the wrong part. The barrel doesn't accept it. If you look at the video (which is great), the rod connector has a little brass male part that fits into the female part. At 6:10 you see the parts. Thanks in advance if anyone can help out.

Back