Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ignition 'Clunk'

Chrisdean

Country Flag
uk
Hi guys, hope you can help. I have a 2001 Colorado with the d4d engine and this morning when I started her up when i turned the key there was a clunk sound then started fine. The same thing happened this evening. Any ideas as to likely cause? Any advice appreciated, but try to keep it stupid simple as I'm not too mechanically knowledgable.

Thanks in advance.
chris

Don't think it's the aerial as that has been snapped off and it's never happened before, also radio wasn't on.

Starters can be an issue on the 1KZ but not sure about on the D4D. The contacts can get furred up and lead to things like that. Mine had a problem of the solenoid throwing all the way out.

Yes I was reading on another thread about the 1KZ solenoid, but there was no mention of clunking. Would there be any way to test?

Hi Chris, what sort of mileage is on the cruiser? It may be the clutch inside the starter that engages it to the flywheel. If this is the case, you will hear the starter spin, but not turn over the engine. The clunk comes when the starter then engages, and you can start it normally. This means a recon for the starter motor, not too expensive.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the info, this sounds logical, Mileage is 163k. The 'clunk' seems to be intermittent and also causes a very slight shudder in the footwell, does that sound consistent with it being the starter clutch?

Back