Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I'm looking at this 100 series on Sunday.

grantw

Supporter
i came across this and considering a purchase.

It has brand new 17500lb winch, The front winch bar and rear swing wheel carrier are 5mm thick steel. It has recently had the ABS rebuilt, it has 168000 on it approximately. Bilstein shocks and peddlers two inch lift kit

Timing belt done at 156 and has new set of BFG A/T KO2.

Has had rust cut out of rear arches and then under sealed. He purchased it from the highlands hence the rust. There is one other rust spot on the front guard in the middle of it. Is that a common one?

The guy was intending to keep but is now moving to Spain where transferring it is in the too hard basket

IMG_6326.JPG IMG_6327.JPG IMG_6328.JPG IMG_6329.JPG IMG_6330.JPG IMG_6331.JPG IMG_6332.JPG IMG_6333.JPG

Or of course anything else the eagle eyes here can spot :)

Is it the ABS on the brakes thats been rebuilt Grant? Has the AHC been removed.
I'd have a very careful look at the underneath if its been in the Highlands. The 80 I bought for spares was shocking underneath and only 4 years older. I'd be suspicious of fresh underseal too. Check every single electrical thing works and take an experienced pair of eyes with you. It might be better than it could be but once body perforation starts it'll keep coming.
Hope this helps, its not round our way is it Grant? I'd be happy to accompany you if it was.

Thanks for the response Andy.

The very careful look underneath and lots of prodding will be high on my list. Some more photos will be coming through today. I need to do the history check on it to see how long it's been in the highlands for.

AHC has been replaced with bilstien shocks and pedders 50mm lift. I think it was the ABS pump he had rebuilt which I imagine would have to be a pretty rare failure.

Unfortunately it's in Devon so i'll have to rely on my semi experienced eyes on this one.

Definitely helps Andy.

Rust, rust and rust.

we looked at a mint looking 2003 in Chesterfield. On crawling underneath every inch of it was rusty. It wasn't just a light surface rust it was oddly deep set.

the garage owner asked us what we thought. On telling him there was to much corrosion he got very offended and said the mot didnt mention anything...

no doubt after that it would of been sprayed with a ruck of wax oil, which would only hide the problem and probably accelerate the corrosion.

no doubt after that it would of been sprayed with a ruck of wax oil, which would only hide the problem and probably accelerate the corrosion.

I'll ask him what it has been covered with and what preparation was done before it went on. What is acceptable in this area? If it's wax oil does that rub away enough with a sharp edge to reveal what is actually under neath? I believe he had the best interest when he did do this but it could very well have been done quite naively too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the response Andy.

The very careful look underneath and lots of prodding will be high on my list. Some more photos will be coming through today. I need to do the history check on it to see how long it's been in the highlands for.

AHC has been replaced with bilstien shocks and pedders 50mm lift. I think it was the ABS pump he had rebuilt which I imagine would have to be a pretty rare failure.

Unfortunately it's in Devon so i'll have to rely on my semi experienced eyes on this one.

Definitely helps Andy.

It all sounds good with the AHC removed, still its got to be solid at the end of it all. It will be interesting to see more pics as it looks quite shiny.

This thread is a week too late, I stayed in Bristol last weekend and could have dropped into Devon to meet up. ( nearest I got to Devon was Crewkerne which isn't far away)

Have you seen this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landcruis...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Just a thought to compare.

It all sounds good with the AHC removed, still its got to be solid at the end of it all. It will be interesting to see more pics as it looks quite shiny.

This thread is a week too late, I stayed in Bristol last weekend and could have dropped into Devon to meet up. ( nearest I got to Devon was Crewkerne which isn't far away)

Have you seen this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landcruiser-100-series-4-2-td-1HT-FTE-amazon-expedition-prepared/302425491067?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Just a thought to compare.

Ahh shame - it would have been a miracle if that worked out for a second time!

I have seen that one and it does look very well sorted. It's going for more than I want to spend though - it does look like it's worth every penny of it.

I asked what was done with the rust treatment and he came back with this:

"Treated with a converter paint which treats any thing present. Then sprayed with normal paint , followed by black wax oil"

So not ideal that it was there but if true sounds like it was tackled correctly. I hope this is easy to verify by rubbing some of the wax oil back to what should be new paint underneath.

Your going past my house on the way. Of you want I will come with

That
Your going past my house on the way. Of you want I will come with
That would be good Stu we will actually be around Bristol for a wedding on Saturday and Sunday. Plan to leave portishead about 1pm.

I asked what was done with the rust treatment and he came back with this:

"Treated with a converter paint which treats any thing present. Then sprayed with normal paint , followed by black wax oil"

So not ideal that it was there but if true sounds like it was tackled correctly. I hope this is easy to verify by rubbing some of the wax oil back to what should be new paint underneath.
you could scrape a little of the wax oil away to have a look, id use a blunt wood or plastic scraper maybe so not to damage the underlying coating. a rag would also be handy preferable soaked in some solvent/petrol etc to clean off the black waxy residue. yeah, I know, your gonna look great rolling up with some petrol, a rag hanging out of your back pocket and a scraping implement..

in my early years of owning the 80 I thought wax oil was the answer to all my problems. I did a very thorough job of cleaning all of the loose rust off and more with a needle gun, including that scaly stuff that a needle gun is very good at getting off, after a couple of years it became apparent moisture was behind the wax oil and chunks of wax oil would peel off with rust stuck to them.

I did find wax oil was good as, lets say a preventative coating on a sound painted surface. not a cure.

this is just my opinion and experience.

Once rust is in metal it's like wood worm. The consequent holes in the metal carry the water and/or salt deep inside the metal where it cannot dry out. You could buy "cure rust" but that was an illegal description and was banned. Nothing else worked either. This was back in the 80's working on late 60's cars which were 20% rust. what I found best was to make new panels and weld them in. You could chlorine as the NaCl broke down in the remaining not too bad metal. I used to then spray the area with hot water and detergent. Then I washed with an acid/compound called deoxodene and washed off again. Then painted with red oxide. Anything applied on rust probably makes the problem worse. One car I restored was a 1949 LR. No rust at all. In 60's steel demand outstripped supply as new mills could not be built overnight and steel was poured off ignoring the advice of the foremen.

More photos came through :) the important underside ones are still to come.

IMG_6336.JPG IMG_6337.JPG IMG_6338.JPG IMG_6339.JPG IMG_6340.JPG IMG_6341.JPG IMG_6342.JPG IMG_6343.JPG

That winch is nearly big enough to block air flow. :/

I wouldn't like to have to use that winch like that. It's a long way from the chassis rails with a lot of leverage.

Looks promising. Rust under the boot floor on 60 / 80 models of mine seemed to be the first area where it starts

In fairness like Ben says, it looks promising. I've seen worse ( like mine) but you have to bear in mind its 15 years old with a lot of kit for not too much money. If there is a doubt about something with 2 of you looking you can always ask a third.
I hope its a good one for you .

Back