Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Immobilisers for 80 series

Mr_Red

Country Flag
uk
Hi folks,

I am recently the proud owner of an 80 series, but unfortunately I live in central London. I'm going to try and get it out of the city and store it at my folks house up North as soon as I can, but at the moment I want to try my best to keep it safe in the city. This is partly inspired by the very sad thread I read on here the other day about a fellow 80 series owner who had their car stolen.

Can anyone recommend any good handbrake, gear-stick and steering wheel immobilisers, suitable for use with a manual 1995 HDJ80 VX?

Cheers
Shaun

Also what are your thoughts on wheel clamps?

Hey Shaun,

Congratulations on the new 80 and welcome.

I think any and every deterrent is a good idea (especially in London). As long as it is a good quality one I think most steering wheel locks are much of a muchness. Wheel clamps are good, put them on the back wheels so the vehicle can't be lifted at the front and pulled onto a low loader.

Depending on the parking location look at how turning the steering wheels can make the vehicle harder to move. Point them into the kerb etc

Also have you looked at pedal locks. They are another good deterrent. Even "this car is fitted with a tracker' stickers may deter novice thiefs. For a couple of quid you never know it might work.

Get a disklock to start with. They'e pretty solid. Once stopped my dad's 90 getting nicked anyway

Get a disklock to start with. They'e pretty solid. Once stopped my dad's 90 getting nicked anyway

The disklocks are pretty good, Some years ago in the "Which" magazine it took an ex car thief and an engineer 45 mins to get one off. The thief said " we'd look for something else".
I suppose I'd better dust mine off, that said do they nick Collies?

I have the OEM immobiliser, plus the TVSS3B alarm and I also use a mechanical lock on the steering wheel and clutch pedal. If all that fails it's a V8 100 series!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I agree on the disclock, I also leave the transfer box in neutral, I figure the thick thieving twits will have no idea why it won't drive.

Best theft prevention I have had on a vehicle was a fuel pump relay over-ride switch. Mount where ever is convenient enough to use but not convenient enough for the bastards to find. I owned a few Honda/Acura's here in the States, all on top 5 most stolen. That switch never let me down.
Side note: Won't keep them out of your property, but they won't drive the truck on its own will more than a foot (if it even starts), its quite a barrier.

Best theft prevention I have had on a vehicle was a fuel pump relay over-ride switch. Mount where ever is convenient enough to use but not convenient enough for the bastards to find. I owned a few Honda/Acura's here in the States, all on top 5 most stolen. That switch never let me down.
Side note: Won't keep them out of your property, but they won't drive the truck on its own will more than a foot (if it even starts), its quite a barrier.

That sounds like an excellent idea and I'll look into it. I might be installing a safe for valuables in my Cruiser. Do you think it would be possible to put the switch in the safe as well?

The disclock steering wheel lock looks like a winner so far. But does anyone know of any locks that prevent the steering wheel being removed by a car thief so they can't use their own?

That sounds like an excellent idea and I'll look into it. I might be installing a safe for valuables in my Cruiser. Do you think it would be possible to put the switch in the safe as well?

I don't see why not, and obviously any wiring/grommet should be hidden.

Back