Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

In need of starter batteries for my 80

Barry O'Connor

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi All,
As the title suggests, they have been a bit flaky for a while but now after 3 months of not being used they have finally died.
Looking for recommendations for replacements please.

Many Thanks
Barry

Last pair I got were from batterymegastore iirc. Just make sure that you get a left and right handed ones. In terms of brands, I really don't think there much you can really say. Yuasa, Exide, Bull, etc etc all going to do the job for years. Just don't be suckered into buying special space technology ones filled with mermaid's tears. It's only a truck engine after all.

I'd go (and did recently) with Varta's. The LC had them on when I bought it. No idea how old they were then, they weren't new but I got 9 years out of them. I got only 5 years almost to the day out of the replacements and had a moan at the supplier, even though they were well out of warranty and got a bit of discount for another set. I got mine from South Yorkshire Batteries who are local to me but once you know which brand to go for, shop around is the best advice.

Tayna batteries are pretty good as well.

Picked up a Varta G7 and G8 from them last year.
I found Tanya very good as well, time to discuss, and told me they were cheaper from their eBay shop rather than direct, could've kept quiet about that one. 2 the same as Rosy, for my 120

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd recommend Varta I've had good service life out of them over the years, I'd also recommend an Optermiser of some sort, and just leave it connected while the car is not in use, they do work, keep your bat in tip top condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try your local battery suppler you maybe surprised on the deal they can do
Went to mine once, and gave me the impression unless I could tell him exactly what I wanted, he couldn't be arsed ! Never been back.

Hellfrauds actually had the best prices when I was looking for a decent set - ended up with Yuasa 5000's.

In the past I've used Tayna, Advanced Battery Supplies (stockport), Alpha Batteries - all good, but remember to check H as well!

Hellfrauds actually had the best prices when I was looking for a decent set - ended up with Yuasa 5000's.

In the past I've used Tayna, Advanced Battery Supplies (stockport), Alpha Batteries - all good, but remember to check H as well!
Have the same from HFords, not always the widest choice but good price as well. And, they are open Sunday's!

A remarkably well timed post after i left my winch on and drained my 7 year old Varta this week. It has actually recharged using the CTEK but its doing some funny things so i'll replace before we go away. I'd happily go with Varta which I have used as both the cranking battery and leisure battery for years. However on this occasion with the long trip in mine i'l probably go back to Odyssey Extremes for both.

Back