Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Installing aftermarket water temp gauge?

kzj90nz

Hi all,

I'd like to fit an aftermarket water temp gauge to my KZJ90 to keep an eye on the 1KZ-TE which has a reputation for overheating.

Has anyone done this? Are there any places you can tap to place the sensor / probe without having to drill any holes?

I got a coolant hose adapter and a gauge sensor that screws into it but there are other cheaper options if you search the forum .

Thanks Shayne, I've just ordered a digital water temp gauge and a coupler which has the same width as the radiator hoses.

Which hose would give the best reading? The upper or lower hose?

Top hose is coolant leaving the engine to be cooled in the rad so its where you will get max heat readings .

Isn't there a screw in blank plug on the inlet side of the headay, I was going to drill and tap that hoping I'd get a reading of the coolant inside the head itself?

Not sure where your talking about but there is a brass coolant drain tap well hidden just forward of the oil filter , i never removed it completely but it is threaded and i suppose if you were lucky enough to find a sensor of the same thread you could wack it in there . Memory fails me but i think its only like a 6 or 8mm diameter bolt .

1KZ-TE yes ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah the 1kz-te, it's the bigger bolt shown here...
2016-03-30 08.32.28.jpg

Yeah that's the one few people ever find it and when i did the trickle it let go was pathetic enough to ensure i will never bother undoing it again so you won't miss it .

@Shayne Any chance you remember the internal diameter of the top coolant hose? Or the adapter you used ... Thanks

It was one like this 36mm Water Temperature Joint Pipe Temp Sensor Gauge Radiator Hose Adapter, 36mm Blue Aluminum Water Temp Meter Temperature Gauge Radiator Sensor Adaptor : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] but i can't remember what size , i figure if you aim about 6mm less than the outside diameter it'll squeeze in .

Never actually fitted mine because by the time i got around to it my truck had been tortured several times beyond what might kill others and it never missed a beat .

What would you gain from a temp gauge that the factory gauge wouldn't tell you other than a more accurate reading. If the engine overheats you'll know it. I guess if your towing etc. then the temperature varies but otherwise the reading should always stay stable. I thought about a gauge but decided to go down the aluminium radiator route when I've got some spare cash as mines an auto. There's a lot a different opinions on which gauges are useful there's a YouTube video (aussie from memory) that explains the benefits of each type boost, oil, battery, water etc etc.

Thanks Shayne.

Mick W, the factory gauge won't tell you you're overheating until the water temp is v hot. That could be well over 100 C according to some with experience.

An aftermarket gauge gives a digital readout of the live temperature. Bit of engine mgmt/protection for longevity. If the engine overheats you might cook it beyond repair.

That, and it's fun to tinker!

Knocking on the door of 100mph towing this on the German Autobahn for hours without the factory gauge moving at all confirmed for me my suspicion that the turbo down pipe is the overheating issue , Mine was replaced with a 3 inch diameter pipe .

1642665730138.png

It was a project because the mrs works nights all week and so wanted a comfortable bed for weekends away

Back