Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Insurance no claims bonus

Dan W

Garage
Hello, I am looking into insurance for my new landcruiser but I have a question about my current insurance. I am with Noel Dazely at the moment on one of their 4x4 insurance policies and whilst it has many advantages, the drawback is that you don't accrue a no claims bonus. So my question is what should I say to insurance comapnies or online forms when they ask? Noel Dazely say they will provide me with a piece of papaer to say I haven't had a claim but not to say I've got a no claims bonus. Before I joined them I had 3 years NCB and I've been with them for 2 years.

I'd let them what you've told us. There's no point taking a policy out with someone only to find out later that they won't take that letter as proof of your NCB.

Some insurers (certainly NFU used to) will give you a no claims bonus on the basis that you tell them you've had no claims. (Would guess they also search the insurers' claims database to be sure.)

The fact that your current insurer doesn't give you a discount based on NCB is probably down to thier T&Cs. Though you would think that if you have had "No claims" for 5 years and you can prove that, then you should be able to get 5 years NCB with an insurer that offers a discount based on that.

I'd get the paperwork sorted to prove that you have had no claims in the last X years and then discuss with potential insurers - as they will most likely want to see proof before they honour any discount.

However, given past experience with insurers, I wouldn't put it past most of them to try and wriggle out of any discounts if possible.....:?

They should be issuing a 3yr NCB note. Just because you don't accrue any doesn't mean that it isn't valid - no doubt they took it into account when issuing your policy to you, and therefore it shouldn't have lapsed because there has still been a valid policy running that was using it.

Phone them up, ask politely but be firm if need be - I've been in this situation many times before.

Back