Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Intercooler install

I did as you did in the photo Iwan, blocked the solenoid outlet and left the pipe to the pump open to air. Never thought of trying it with both pipes blocked but I may give it a try. I traced the pipe back from the solenoid and I'm pretty sure it is vacuum rather than boost pressure. With the engine running I can't really feel either negative or positive pressure with a finger on the solenoid outlet. When the pipe was off there appeared to be less boost than normal from the turbo on the boost gauge I have fitted so it must have reduced the low down fuelling quite markedly. I did the off boost and compensator tweaks, as discussed on this form and others, years ago and they certainly did improve off idle and midrange response even though I left the main fuelling screw alone.

If you think of the diaphragm in the centre and the boost compensator vac supply at the top, then a vac to the underside.

So it is the stronger vac supply that will win, I believe that as on the non egr pump in the pic I loaded it's a free flowing area below the diaphragm to allow ease to the movement above.

I recall now that this pipe supply is a "high altitude compensator" IIRC and not applicable to use for our 80's. But it's well intergrated into the egr system on factory 24v's.

its pressure above the diaphragm.

You need maybe this manual? " Repair manual for emission control 1hd-ft" ? I have a copy of it :)

1625739447140.png

BACS Boost and Altitude Compensation Stopper. This is the function of the pipe that I dislike.... After all who wants a boost stopper on their 1hd ft (well integrated into the egr ecu).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back