Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Intercooler

J

jibberjabber

Hi Y'all,

Thinking about cleaning the inside of the intercooler on my 100, so was wondering if anyone has done this and if so what cleaning fluid did you use? As I've never cleaned an intercooler before any tips would be welcomed, thanks.:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think someone cleaned theirs with carb or brake cleaner (they’re very similar) by filling, shaking about them draining.
I have to ask why as it will be re-coated with oil residue on the first trip after your cleaning. Unless of course you suspect foreign bodies in it. Bits of turbo, that sort of thing.

I think someone cleaned theirs with carb or brake cleaner (they’re very similar) by filling, shaking about them draining.
I have to ask why as it will be re-coated with oil residue on the first trip after your cleaning. Unless of course you suspect foreign bodies in it. Bits of turbo, that sort of thing.
Thanks for you input,

No, theres nothing wrong, it's just that I came across a vid on utube all about 'oil catch tanks', and how oil can over a period of time get into the intercooler from the crank case breather, and obviously decrease the efficiency of the IC. Having never heard of an oil catch tank before, or cleaned an IC, I thought I would pose the question specifically for the 100 LC, on the 100 forum.

For all I know, the 1HD-FTE engine might have a gizmo fitted by Toyota to stop oil migrating into the IC and the EGR, from the crank case breather 'blow-by'.

When I had a look at my ERG it made sense, as it was not just crud buildup, it was oily crud buildup, so the oil must be getting into the inlet/erg somehow, I haven't looked in the Intercooler pipe work or the Intercooler it's self yet.

Check out the Wikipedia link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_catch_tank

Also this link. https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2016/01/blow-by-101-what-is-blow-by/

Last edited by a moderator:
I did mine with degreaser, lots of rinsing, brake cleaner and dried it with a hot air gun. Outside very crusty. Factory black paint (I assume) was all bubbled and peeling off. Fins pretty beat up and needed straightening and cleaning. I'm hoping to replace with Allisport one at some point, budget/swambo allowing!

Tbh I was surprised how clean the intercooler and piping was straight off the truck considering what the EGR and intake manifold looked like after 190k miles... :shock: So unless the state of ICs varies wildly from engine to engine you may find its not really going to net any major improvements...

EGR blanked now... Will consider catch can too. Intake manifold cleaning is not a job I ever want to repeat...!

IMG_20200111_165056.jpg IMG_20200111_165002.jpg IMG_20190921_133833.jpg IMG_20190921_133242.jpg

Tried attaching pics of intercooler inlet and outlet before/after but I'm on my phone and they're too big or something... Not a lot to see. With flash they didn't come out too well and hard to see difference. Before there was very thin oily film, afterwards it was clean metal. Well the bits I could see! Nothing like the pics of the EGR/intake tract!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Here's the effect of egr on the 80;
IMG_20191019_111334.jpg

Non egr engines only have a very light film of oil.
A turbo with a good mileage will also seep a little oil into the intake.
From what I've come across it's only ever a light coating and I can't see it being a problem.

The recirculating exhaust gasses cause the "coking" up.

I use a catch can and I still have a little oil in the intercooler pipework. Probably from the ageing turbo.

EGR is connected after the intercooler, so has no effect on it. Definitely a good idea to clean it and maybe blank it. Clean all the way from the EGR valve to the engine - pipes, inlet manifold and swirl flaps included. On higher kilometre engines the pipe immediately after the EGR usually is severely restricted and swirl flaps might be blocked in one position.

Back