Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Intermittent grinding noise

Hopefully they're out still enjoying their 80! Yeah it's a weird one, figured it was worth a shot; mechanic and I are stumped.

Similar noise turned out to be a bearing in the front stub axle. Not the wheel bearings but I think the central bronze one holding the wheel end of the shaft.

As Frank said. That’s what my money would be on. That’s a shaft ‘windmilling’ in an oversized hole.
It probably decelerates the truck too and shakes through the steering.

Thanks guys I think you're onto something. StarCruiser you're right - it does decelerate the truck slightly and vibrates the steering, the whole truck really. Hard to pinpoint the location of the noise but the more it happens I'm fairly certain it's a front wheel or diff area. Like Rob I thought mine happened mostly when coasting and is definitely triggered when either of the front wheels hits a bump. This morning was probably the worst it's been; it did it for a good 30 seconds or so but unlike Rob's it wouldn't go away when I throttled on, or braked. However the 30 second grind fest seems to have triggered the ABS light, which is new.
Will update with what we find next.

If it is the bronze bushes upgrade to the needle roller bearings fitted in the 105 stub axles .....

So it took a while to get the cruiser booked in and finally sorted but you guys were on the money; stub axle brass bushes and stub axle washers have been replaced - also had swivel hubs rebuilt and back lash reset on the front diff while it was in. No more noise.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for feedback on result. There are two videos on here with that noise, Best one really loud with LHD drivers window open.

Back