Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Intermittent speedo fault

willthompson

So my speedo is being extremely awkward since i put a manual in my 80.
When driving my speedo is out by roughly 20% ill be doing 50mph but its showing 70mph but my odo is working fine and is not out what so ever. This being an intermittent problem it could start working normally after 30 seconds or even an hour sometimes you could go over a pot hole or cats eye on the road and it would start working or sometimes it just starts working regardless. I have checked the ground wire on the back of the intake this is fine i have given it a clean off and checked the wires as far as i could and nothing is split or out of place. As far as i am concerned it surly cant be the sensor in the box, as it wouldn't work full stop? but saying this my transfer case and power steering pump have been leaking and fluid as been everywhere so i don't know if fluid going in the sensor would affect it ?

cheers

If the odo is accurate the fault must be speedo related rather than gearbox sensor?

Have a look here Will.
https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/intermittent-speedometer.130650/

Slightly different symptoms but could be worth a look. Post 12 onwards has the fix.[/QUOTE
thanks, there are that many threads on this all over the web, i have read that and not been able to find it again, half my lights on the gauge have also not been working all the time until i tap the screen so it could all be connected, this will be my next port of call!!!!

Yeah your where bob on, completely burnt out thrown in a little wire and it’s working so fingers crossed this is it !!!

Cheers for your help, I was beginning to loose it!

8CC97DDC-1C52-48B8-B035-4B1CE9BBE2E6.jpeg 0748D225-C092-4F1F-A25D-0ADAA0B1C9EE.jpeg

Sweet. Looks possibly like water damage again. Is your windscreen fully watertight? Auto glass companies don’t know how to fit old style windscreens any more so worth checking. Water tends to gather unnoticed under the carpet in the cable channels. Removal of the edging in the door step at the front and lifting the carpet usually tells a tale, especially if it fogs up easily inside.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sweet. Looks possibly like water damage again. Is your windscreen fully watertight? Auto glass companies don’t know how to fit old style windscreens any more so worth checking. Water tends to gather unnoticed under the carpet in the cable channels. Removal of the edging in the door step at the front and lifting the carpet usually tells a tale, especially if it fogs up easily inside.
Previous owner had the screen out and it sealed up properly. But my next job is to have it painted, I have new seals for every window so this should solve any water problems. I’ll see how long this lasts, it’s been good so far no problems at all but it’s early doors.

If the PO had it sealed then it’s historical.
If you take the screen out or the rear windows use Butyl screen sealer from Wayside adhesives on eBay when they go back in. Both glass side and frame side. It’s in the manual. My originals had sealer on them, glass and frame, front and back. Since I’ve sealed mine up, no leaks.

I copied Richards Butyl sealer approach with perfect results.

Get this:- Bloody water. My telly packed up "No Signal" on the screen. Checked the back plug and found cable slightly wet and rotted through at the plug. That's 40 feet of capillary action starting from the aerial which is the only place water can get in. Mended it with plenty of oil and it's been OK since.

I copied Richards Butyl sealer approach with perfect results.

Get this:- Bloody water. My telly packed up "No Signal" on the screen. Checked the back plug and found cable slightly wet and rotted through at the plug. That's 40 feet of capillary action starting from the aerial which is the only place water can get in. Mended it with plenty of oil and it's been OK since.
A pal of mine does lots of swimming pool control panels. He’s seen many flooded with water through armoured cables that have been dragged across each other when being installed and worn through. Ground water then gets in and floods underground plant room panels.

I guess if you drag a cable across another one it saws through it like a barrage balloon cable on a bomber wing. That would look interesting for the crew.

95% this is now working it has had its moments the last few days but when I come to a stop it works again. So Ive got a bit of shopping list from parts souq I’ve found a new face for it but it’s in Km’s because it’s an import, I’ll find one in mph this won’t be problem but I’m worried.
I don’t fully understand how your speed and millage counter (odo) are read. My speed is in mph but my mileage counter is it KM.
if I get a new one and put that in will it read as it does now? Speed in mph and mileage counter in Km’s ?
Cheers

95% this is now working it has had its moments the last few days but when I come to a stop it works again. So Ive got a bit of shopping list from parts souq I’ve found a new face for it but it’s in Km’s because it’s an import, I’ll find one in mph this won’t be problem but I’m worried.
I don’t fully understand how your speed and millage counter (odo) are read. My speed is in mph but my mileage counter is it KM.
if I get a new one and put that in will it read as it does now? Speed in mph and mileage counter in Km’s ?
Cheers
How was it changed from Km to Mph? Was it done with a little gearbox at the encoder thingy on the output shaft of the transfer box? If so it will have changed both at the same time.

How was it changed from Km to Mph? Was it done with a little gearbox at the encoder thingy on the output shaft of the transfer box? If so it will have changed both at the same time.

Well I thought it was that way but the the counter is in KM’s ? So it can’t be, surly if I get a new one the same as I have it should work fine.

What is it that makes you say the counter is in Km and the Speedo in Miles? When mine was converted they simply blacked out the K of Km/h so it reads m/h and added the little reduction gearbox.
As I say, how has the conversion been done?

What is it that makes you say the counter is in Km and the Speedo in Miles? When mine was converted they simply blacked out the K of Km/h so it reads m/h and added the little reduction gearbox.
As I say, how has the conversion been done?

Because it is..... if its not then i am owed a lot of money, as it should of only done 130k not 212k haha. but in all seriousness I have a gps and 1km on there is 1km on the counter, the person who imported the car did the conversion not the previous owner so i am not aware how its been done. my clock is a mph one with km on the inside like a uk truck would be if that is what you mean, so maybe this has been changed to this anyway ?

Sounds like the face only has been changed as the Km/h ones have only Km/h on them.

@karl webster might be able to help you out with a second hand one but there maybe more to it. It’s worth a try but there’s lots of variations on these by all accounts. Have a search on here and you’ll probably find what I’m talking about.

I can’t help with a vin as mines a JDM.

@karl webster might be able to help you out with a second hand one but there maybe more to it. It’s worth a try but there’s lots of variations on these by all accounts. Have a search on here and you’ll probably find what I’m talking about.

I can’t help with a vin as mines a JDM.

From what I can gather I think it’s just a standard uk 12v i gauge I think the fz’s has yellow bits on them and it says unleaded only and 24v had a different colour of km as well, im not sure if a 24v one would work?
I probably should of looked for a part number when I had the thing off.

B3D6164F-D2C3-4394-A8C0-2BDD2DC0E22F.jpeg

Back