Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ireland and the west atlantic coast

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi

Looks like I am going to be able to get away after all. Heading to the Irish west coast mid June for 2 weeks.

There isn't really a plan as yet, but broadly I want to cross over from Fishguard or Pembroke and crawl around the outer edge, getting over to Sligo and the across to Dublin and over to holyhead and back home. 12 days is what we have. So taking 3 for getting there and back, hoping to get 9 days on the coast.

During the trip want to find a nice quiet camp site where we can maybe spend 3 nights. Otherwise overnighting all the way.

Any tips and tricks, must see, best avoided, where to stay etc , very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi KB, sounds like you're not going up that way but the Giants Causeway on the North Antrim coast is well worth a visit and if you can get a still evening with nobody around like we did then it's quite magical. I would say any Irish music in a pub (or other venue) around where you're going would be well worth seeing too.

We are not going to have enough time for that far north this time. Saving that for maybe next year.

Last edited:
Can I recommend north Co. Mayo for some nice places. You could take it in from Achill to Sligo. Westport is good for traditional music and decent food. Downpatrick head is truly spectacular,and there's never too many people about, (unlike the mobbed Cliffs of Moher) and the Ceide fields are nearby if you like history (largest stone age site in the world). Beautiful drive out by Belmullet and Erris head too.

If you're in Sligo, and in the village of Easkey, there's a great cafe/restaurant called Pudding Row (run by a friend of mine - shameless plug!) But well worth dropping in

How far south will you be?

If I think of any more I'll let ya know..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the recommendations Bob. Might actually take up each of those.

We ferry into Rosslare, and pretty much haul ass rapidly down to Baltimore. Then crawl up the coastline. So pretty much south south west upwards.

Regards

Make sure you give us a trip report with lots of photos
I plan to return to Ireland and work our way south from Co Mayo into Connemara etc, so much to see and do

Anyone know where I can get a GB sticker, over in ireland. Ideally a shop I can walk into. Halfords in the Cork area dont seem to stoxk any.

Some numpty took the one I had on the truck. Either on the ferry or the restaurant we stopped for dinner,

Halfords to the rescue.

Stopped 4 times by the garda in 24hrs over this GB mark.. other than that, yeah its been raining pretty much on queue :)

I'm presuming your truck doesn't have EU marked plates, it's unusual for them to be so vigilant about it, when UK plates are such a common sight on the roads here. Hope you get some better weather, our state exams start next week so that's guaranteed sunshine for the poor souls1

Camped just outside kinsale on a small farm near Charles Fort. The land owner was also very surprised that anyone was bored enough to stop us. This was all around Cork, I guess the cops are a bit more pedantic inner city (?)

Yes, the truck has the old number plates. I had a magnetic GB playe that has worked for a few tripa over to france and belgium. Guess someone else needed them and just decided to help themselves to it.

To be honest, a missing GB sticker is the least of their problems with the amount of uninsured nut jobs, speeders, motor tax dodgers and unaccompanied learners you find here.

Lovely area you are in, nice beach at Garretstown nearby if that's your thing. Old head is spectacular, but is a golf course so not easy to get near.

I'm in Athenry just E of Galway but would be happy to meet up if you're up this way on the west coast +353 87 45-77-314 brendan at lally.info

Went around dingle today, hoping to make it to Galway tomorrow. @thelal will reach out.

so many land cruisers around. The 120 seems very popular. And lots of 125's and 150 as well.

20170602_110632.jpg 20170601_132126.jpg 20170530_161017.jpg 20170529_183904.jpg

The other thing about ireland.... great food, everywhere. We have eaten at some real hole in the wall places and walked away with great meals.

Also, found out today that in fact no, most of this country is not a learner driver. All those cars with the L plates are Americans with rental cars driving on the wrong side of the road.

Under the truck today - fixing brakes/bushings and then if all ok looking to head off this evening (for overnight camp/RTT) to this event
Sunday, June 4 at 9 AM - 5 PM
Balla, County Mayo
Goings from Mullaranny (Achill) to Balla

Mayo 4x4 are doing a Charity Jeep Run , all funds raised are for Temple Street Childrens Hospital (Charity number CHY 13534) on the 4th June. Meeting point to be confirmed, to meet at 9am. Breakfast & dinner provided. €20 entry fee per person, each jeep must raise at least €100 (the more the better for Temple street) on our sponsorship card. Prizes for best fundraiser and also spot prizes. These will be given out after dinner in The Rendevous Bar, Balla after event..
Going to be an easy run with easy off-roading/lanes. if you are interested

Looks like a fun day. I don't think we will be able to make it though.

We are camped out on mweenish island, and hoping to make it over to achill tomorrow sometime. The plan was to spend the day in the clifden area or nearby today.

Have fun. Hope the rain does not dampen things.

Things got a bit biblical last night. 50mph winds and a metric shed ton of rain from 4pm lasting through to 5am this morning. How the oztent stayed intact, vertical and dry on the inside is entirely beyond me - but it did.

But we are moving into b&b's from here on. The kids (and wife ) are not exactly amused with this weather. Also, while we had prepared for wet, we didnt plan on this level of storm grade wet.

Bummer - sorry to hear about the bad weather

Back