Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is it OK to use Copper grease on the Brake pistons?

kamalsrana

Garage
Country Flag
kenya
Hello, just spent half a day removing my front brake calipers as the RHS caliper seemed stuck and truly one pisto was completely jammed. The amazon had warped the discs once before and am feeing vibrations again, so heard that discs could be warped again.

Had to use a vice to press and use a screwdriver to remove the stuck piston with a lot of help of a hammer. Got a few dents on the lip of the piston and got it out. The plumbers pliers was handy too. I cleaned it and the other 3 pistons also. There were only some rust spots on them, came off easily, wd40 them and scrubbed clean.

Now, I dont have any of the red grease in my shed, so, am thinking of applying the High Temp copper grease on the pistons before I insert them back.

Is it Ok to do so? Let me know so that I dont make a huge mistake.

Cheers.

no its not- you MUST use red grease http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp? ... ctName=Red Rubber Grease (500g)

You run therisk of perishing the rubber seals in the brakes, although initially you will find the seals swell and you will get initial bind followed by seal failure, which potentially (although highly unlikely) could lead to catastrophic brake failure. At the least you will be rebuilding the brakes in a few months when they start weeping.

One other thing is that copper grease isn't designed for high temps (and brakes really can get to hundreds of degrees). YOu may find the copper slip dries out, leaving a rock hard residue.

Copper slip is really used for one thing- as an anti corrosion on weight bearing, but non pressure and low temp surfaces.

Is there potential for copper grease to contaminate your brake lines- possibly- certainly not a risk i'd be willing to take.

Its just too dangerous to risk you, and more importantly other peoples lives, with cutting corners.

if you are anywhere near Newbury, then you are welcome to borrow my pot of rubber grease as linked to above.

Hello mate,

Thanks for that, I will immediately get a pot from somewhere as this is very important.

I really appreciate your assistance, this advice is invaluable.

Cheers, and God Bless You mate, have a nice one.

I know we should use red rubber grease but why is most garages use copper grease on calliper components, especially sliding pins?

Well you would certainly be getting morer work when things seized...

There is also the Ceramic grease, which is high temp.
My t0yo-garage recomends it for the pad backing plate and pins.
Don't know if it's any good for pistons though??

It comes in an aerosol rattle can - I got one really cheap from the t0yo dealer.
Easy & fast to use.
Here's a link to a similar product, looks like it would be good for pistons as well:
http://www.kroon-oil.com/en/products/ca ... ic-grease/

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello, I can certainly say that when I used the High Temp copper grease the pistons slid into the chambers, but, felt pretty sticky. I needed more force to get them in. :naughty:

After cleaning the copper grease off, I used the red rubber grease and the pistons slid in very smoothly, infact I could push them with 2 fingers, compared to the palm of my hand when I used copper grease. :mrgreen:

I have ordered new seals and rubbers from Mr T. Should have them by tomorrow and will change all the rubbers for both L and R side calipers. Probably be ready by Wednesday. (Touch wood)

Will paint the calipers silver when they are out.

Sounds good.
Tnx for sharing. Useful stuff.

But, :text-worthless:, if you have any.

What paint are you using?

I am using Silver Hammerite paint, very strong and good on these type of surfaces I am told.

I will know how it holds up after a few months, :pray: but, am using this for now. looks really clean and shiny now.

Hi, I have pics, but, dont know how to upload them here. I use some other site to show my Avatar, not enough space there.

Cheers for that guys.

I will try and pick some paint up today.

Also will try to upload some pics.

Brake seals and copper grease...

Hi, I have finally got the brakes in with new seals.

The surprising thing is that when I opened the calipers the seals looked the normal size, after inserting the old seals back in one of the calipers using copper grease, I found that they had swelled, overnight. Pic of swelled one with a normal one from other caliper below....
IMG_0028.jpg

Even if you looked at the seald sideways, they had distorted and expanded into a different conical or pointed shape,
IMG_0030.jpg

I also looked at the dust covers, surprisingly they too had expanded in size..
IMG_0032.jpg

I then removed the pistons and cleaned the chambers from all the copper grease, used brake cleaner and paper tissue to clean out and then applied rubber grease..
IMG_0018.jpg

Then pressed pistons into chambers and inserted the dust covers and new clips..
IMG_0020.jpg

I then proceeded to paint the calipers, used Hammerite paint, brushed on, 3 coats over 2 days.
IMG_0023.jpg

I did mask the disc etc, since it was brushed on not a tough job
IMG_0024.jpg

The finished article..
IMG_0035.jpg

I hope the pics are visible, its 1.30AM and I am still awake trying this.... :pray:

{Admin - post relocated to correct thread}

Good job :thumbup: As you've discovered, the solvents in copper grease attack rubber and will turn it into a rubbery mess given enough grease.

Yes, best to keep that Copper grease far way from all rubbers.

The veh drives like a charm now, before I always felt some pull towards the siezed side.

Cheers.

The key thing is to keep the copper ease away from any rubber - it may be down to specific brands, but we have found that the copper ease causes the rubber to soften and swell.

It's fine on the edge of pads and on the pins that hold the pads in place, although best to just keep these surfaces clean with sand paper - the copper ease will work for a while, but then just attracts dirt and dries out.

If you have been having calliper issues, bite the bullet and buy a seal kit - it will contain a small sachet of the red rubber grease.

Hi, I got a brand new set of seals from Mr T, 76 quids worth.

Did get a small sachet of grease with it too.

Looks like disaster has been averted.

Cheers.

Back