Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is this a 70 series?

Yes that's a 70 series. As for what to look for, if the condition seems to match the advert and it drives ok it might be worth investing in an AA / RAC / etc inspection seeing as you're a self confessed novice?

Jon Wildsmith said:
Yes that's a 70 series. As for what to look for, if the condition seems to match the advert and it drives ok it might be worth investing in an AA / RAC / etc inspection seeing as you're a self confessed novice?

Jon, thanks again for your help and your answer. I am such a novice I didn't even know AA/RAC inspections existed! Seriously! Am I an idiot?! Anyway, I have heard that diff locks are important for off-roading and overlanding. I have also heard that this Prado may not have diff locks as it was an optional extra on the earlier Japanese Land Cruisers. Am I right about this - that it probably has no diff locks? If so is that a problem? If it is can they be installed on there somehow?

Really appreciate your time.
Keith

Kieth, I see you've found my other post. The difflock switch is the turn-dial to the lower left of the steering wheel in those pictures :thumbup:

Jim.

That one appears to have a rear diff lock switch on the dash and the description mentions diff locks plural so it probably has the locker to go with the switch.

Jon Wildsmith said:
That one appears to have a rear diff lock switch on the dash and the description mentions diff locks plural so it probably has the locker to go with the switch.

Hi Jon and Jim (and anyone else),

Thanks for writing back - I can't believe how helpful this Forum is and I'm amazed that as my total ignorance slowly gets out no-one has yet ejected me!

I got the impression that some of those 70 series only have diff locks for the rear - is that right? Wouldn't it be best to have front and rear? (I am assuming that diff locks are the things which lock your wheels together so they turn in sync rather than spin. Is that right)?

Sorry Jon, what does "it probably has the locker to go with the switch mean"? Does it mean it has diff locks otherwise what would be the point of the switch on the dashboard, yes?

Also, how can I tell whether it has front and back or only back?

Just to let you know - although I think you saw my posts in the Intro section - I am torn between paying £7k for a Colorado and £2k for the 70 series.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p
AND
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

If I get the Colorado I get fuel efficiency and very comfortable motoring but have no money left to "upgrade" e.g roof tent. However, if I get the 70 series I feel like less of a LC fraud and get to spend some money on cool upgrades. What to do?

If you were to get the 70 series and had another £3-4k to spend what would you do to upgrade it?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for all your time.

Keith

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
knctaylor said:
Wouldn't it be best to have front and rear? (I am assuming that diff locks are the things which lock your wheels together so they turn in sync rather than spin. Is that right)?
Front as well as rear is best and your understanding of what they achieve is correct. AFAIK Toyota never made a locking front diff for the 70, 90, 100, 120, 150 or 200 series trucks generaly available in this country. On some models it's possible for us to say all UK market vehicles got a rear locker as standard but I'm afraid that's not universal so we'd best stick with they're pretty common on UK trucks. For imports they were optional so it just depends what options the origional purchaser had. It is possible to fit an aftermarket front locker on all those series but it can be quite expensive depending on who you know and where you go. On the other hand, all UK market 80 series Landcruisers got front and rear diff locks from the factory but again for imports it was optional. We're just scratching the surface really with the series differences as there's far more to them than lockers.

knctaylor said:
Sorry Jon, what does "it probably has the locker to go with the switch mean"? Does it mean it has diff locks otherwise what would be the point of the switch on the dashboard, yes?
I'm just being a cynic for your sake and pointing out that a switch doesn't prove it has working lockers just that it's more likely than if there was no switch :)

knctaylor said:
Also, how can I tell whether it has front and back or only back?
Other than what I've already said about which models didn't get front lockers, the rotary switch has two 'on' positions (as well as the 'off' position) with a label for each one when there are two lockers and when you're familiar with them it's easy to tell which you're looking at.

knctaylor said:
If you were to get the 70 series and had another £3-4k to spend what would you do to upgrade it?
Trade it in for an 80 :mrgreen: I'm biased though :D

If the condition is as stated it's a great buy. But check everything. Do you know anyone who can help check out the 4wd stuff, like the locker? Not sure how clued up the AA Inspector would be on such stuff.

As the owner of a 1993 70 with 125,000 on the clock and going strong, I'd say go for this one. The only negative is that it's not the 3 litre engine which is undoubtedly better. On the positive side it's had the cylinder head replaced, which was the only major weakness.

Spares are not always easy - in that respect a later Colorado would be a better bet. But then, in my experience, you don't often need spares! :thumbup:

Back