Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is this an import?

cathl

Country Flag
uk
I've been told a few times that my 100 Series is an import and I'm keen to know if it is or not and any implications on the value?

It's a 1998 model, was first registered in the UK in September 98 by a Toyota dealership who then kept it as a demo car for a while.

All the buttons on the interior are labelled in English - surely this wouldn't be the case if it were a true import?

I put the VIN into toyodiy.com and it said the destination market for this vehicle was Europe.

The manual and service record that came with it is all in English.

I called Toyota HQ who said maybe it was a special order but couldn't tell me anything more than that.

On that basis I've never declared it as an import and not sure whether I should be doing?

Thanks for any help.

To my knowledge, if it was already registered when you bought it, there's no need for you to do any more.

If anything, imports are usually in better condition, particularly in terms of underbody rusting as the British salty winter roads really do some damage.

That's the biggest factor on the price, it will only tend to improve the odds. JMO.

I have no real knowledge of the 100s Cath, but at first glance I can see nothing that would lead me to believe it is an import (if it were an 80 that is). Of course I may be way off. Japanese imports usually have Japanese writing. It should say on the V5 if previously registered abroad (I think).

As you say it was registered in the UK in 1998 then I would say it was an ex demonstrator and unlikely to be an import. As Clive says, there's nothing you need or should do as this is already taken care of by the initial dealership. Sometimes there are BFG (British Forces Germany) cars, I suppose it could be one of those, but on looks alone, it looks like a UK car to me.

I've just read your post again Cath, and I suppose it could be both. If it's original build destination was Europe, then it could have been registered (for example) in Germany, then imported into the UK.

We all assume imported from Japan (the usual meaning of the term) but it could have been imported into the UK from anywhere.

Wouldn't a car credit check show its origins ?

Maybe it's too simple, but when it says Amazon at the back, it must be made for the UK ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back