Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is this the ultimate 70 series overlander............

cant get the video to embed properly for some reason? :?

i wouldn't say the ultimate cruiser, i don't think anyone has build the ULTIMATE cruiser but a good start.
the troopy is an excellent base to build from.

Ultimate 70 Wayne, not ultimate cruiser. :icon-wink:

I like the pop up roof. :clap:

Have you done anything similar on any of the cruisers youve built? :think:

It certainly is a great truck. I also like the pop up tent - giving you living quarters below and then converting to sleeping quarters above.

Ben could you post a link to the first video? It is embedded and all I get is a white square with no link.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Ben, thought there were 3 videos not 2:lol:

Great videos BTW, its a pity the V8 is not available in SA. If I were starting again and I had plenty of cash I would be temped by one of the V8 70s.

The only thing I don't like about the V8 70 is I hear that front axle wheel track is wider than the rear axle.
Or so I have heard, could be wrong.

nah, not yet with the pop top. not much demand over here for that although i love the idea.
my feelings are it is cool as all but still not the ultimate. great base for a build though.
cheers

Anyone know where you can buy a ready made pop top or have one manufactured?

Its ok ,but I dont like cutting holes in roofs. Im also a fan of KISS projects.When people do over complex modifications to turn their cruiser into mobile display of gadgetry,I wonder if they are doing it for their egos,rather than to provide a reliable camper.
Last week ,my troopy went from being a weekend camper to furniture removal vehicle in about 15 mins to help my GF move house.
When I track down some rear factory seats,it will be an instant people mover whenever needed as well.

Versatility is what makes them truly great:dance:

Anyone know where you can buy a ready made pop top or have one manufactured?

You could save yourself a fortune by adding a roof top FG camper.They can be removed in minutes when you are not needing them,weigh very little and have good aero dynamics

Last edited:
Any ideas why it is not permanent 4WD? In this day and age part time 4WD does seem like ancient technology.

Any ideas why it is not permanent 4WD? In this day and age part time 4WD does seem like ancient technology.

No need to use a differential in the centre (which the Bland Rover, Merc G wagen both have, and then the need to have a central diff lock) is one solution; the 70 will go most places in 2wd any way, and 4 is just a useful get you out of the mud option. Lastly it's slightly better fuel economy and a much better turning circle (having tried to turn a Troopy with it in 4wd I took about 2x as much space as when in 2wd!), but I suppose the turning circle could be improved with a central diff.

Why change it if it ain't broken?

Also if you add in complicated systems you end up with the problems that the AWD Volvo's have with transmission wind up that then blows the centre and rear differentials (I run a FWD V70, but know of the problems that the AWD's have!)

Last edited:
Why are you comparing the Landcruiser full time 4WD system to Volvo's AWD, we both know they were built for completely different applications with completely different success rates:icon-confused: The Landcruiser permanent 4WD system is simple, reliable and works very well. It has no wind up at all and therefore no effect on turning circle you keep mentioning as it has a centre diff. If the going gets though you can engage the centre diff lock on the go, no need to stop (loose momentum) to engage the hubs and select 4WD. When offroading you can disable the centre diff when you start to get wind up which you can't do on part time 4WD, so you end up with unnecessary wind up. The fuel economy gains will be insignificant, minimal at most.

For the £40k+ asking price you would expect then to have permanent 4WD, or at least be available as an option.

True Rob, it was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment re the AWD system.

My feeling is that yes the centre diff does remove the transmission wind up and improve the turning circle, I'd prefer to have the option to switch between H2 and H4/L4.

If the permanent 4wd is so beneficial why don't the Hi Lux and other pick ups of that class run a permanent set up as opposed to the switchable?

Part time 4WD is cheaper as you don't need a centre diff, hence why they are common for pickups. Most pickups start at £15 and top out at well under £30k. A £40k+ LC ute is not exactly cheap, and if I were spending that much on a proper offroader then I would expect permanent 4WD.

I'm a fan of the 70's part time 4WD. :clap:

Obviously you cant use it in 4WD on dry tarmac without winding up the transmission, that is the only negative. :think:

One thing I like is if I break a half CV/shaft/diff etc. I can simply unlock the hubs and drive home. With permanent 4WD youd have to remove the front prop.

What the guys from 4WD Action do is when they break a CV/shaft they engage the front locker and unlock the hub on the side with the broken CV/shaft. They then have 3WD and can carry on driving. :icon-biggrin:

Back