Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Issues with the gearbox in 1HZJ 105.

Patrick k

Country Flag
uganda
Hello I have recently overhauled the gearbox for a land cruiser powered by 1HZ engine manual,
but I have noticed that while driving in gear number 5 sometimes the gear disengages itself into free mode.
What could be the problem?

really need your help.

Hello I have recently overhauled the gearbox for a land cruiser powered by 1HZ engine manual,
but I have noticed that while driving in gear number 5 sometimes the gear disengages itself into free mode.
What could be the problem?

really need your help.

Jambo, Patrick, from down the road in Nairobi. I can't help with the why, but I can tell you that mine (1999 105 HZ manual) does exactly the same. My fundi changed the gearbox oil recently to precisely the grade Toyota specify, and that's made it a lot better, but it still slips out from time to time.

Said fundi reckons there's a dog lever may be bent and when the power comes off the drive train the cogs slip back into neutral. But since the only gearbox I ever dismantled was 30 years ago, on a 1965 Triumph Bonneville, I really make no claim at all to know what I'm talking about.

So I look forward to hearing the expert views from 0ur friends here...

Salama!

Rob

Last edited:
I'm nobody to advise, but often shift positions are maintained with spring-loaded indent pins which locate in the carrier shaft.

I'm not being very helpful really, but as it's been overhauled recently, it would have been an easy error for one of the springs to have been left out.

Was there the same problem before the overhaul, or is it a new problem since?

I'm nobody to advise, but often shift positions are maintained with spring-loaded indent pins which locate in the carrier shaft.

I'm not being very helpful really, but as it's been overhauled recently, it would have been an easy error for one of the springs to have been left out.

Was there the same problem before the overhaul, or is it a new problem since?
Hello, thanks for the help, before the over haul, gear 5 could not engage at all, that is why we over hauled.

There's a full gearbox rebuild on the 80 section with photos. It's for the 151F manual box but would be similar. The steel syncro hub controlled by the selector fork is most likely handed and it may be in the wrong way round. More likely is that or one of the locking balls or its spring that go in the gearbox casing and selector rods is missing. The balls retain each gear firmly in place but they need to be present with their spring. If you can't feel resistance when pulling the lever in and out of the gear when in neutral with engine off that's the problem.

Back