Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Its a sad day.

If i could get the fuel economy down on the truck, i would try convince her to let us keep it, i say us because if you have been married a long time, saying me is like the gallows.

I am sorry to read this Mike, my truck, affectionately called Thirsty, as in thirsty for adventure and not as in heavy on fuel consumption as many seem to think, is my truck.
My wife also affectionately known as SWAMBO understands this and does not complain about how much time I spend with Thirsty or about the gifts I lavish on Thirsty as she is the only significant woman in my life.
My BMW on the other hand for some reason I cant quite fathom is our car, Swambo got quite offended the other day when I inadvertently refereed to the Bemtroubleyou as my car, ........
I feel I must point out that my wife does not drive, has no interest in driving, cant drive etc.
I pay all costs on the vehicles, purchase costs, maintenance, insurance, tax and so on and thus have final say in what I do with them, Swambo is welcome to voice an opinion but at the end of the day its my choice.

Mike in short I sympathize with you and can only say women huh.

Funny that, my wife doesnt drive either, not has she ever, why do we put up with it. I know a peaceful life, thats why.

If fuel economy was a major requirement Mike, wouldn’t the diesel have been a better choice for you? :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok yes a diesel would have been good, if i could have got one at the right price. I have read that LPG conversations are not recommended by Toyota due to valve damage or some such thing plus gas is not always there out in the bush, or outback towns. So yes i had also considered reading what people said about mileage, which has turned out to be bullshit, this thing is more thirsty than me and i brew my own.

But that is one major concern, the other is keeping the good lady wife happy.

The 80 is mine, the Beemer is the wife's I pay for the fuel etc lol.

I can consistently return 20 mpg from a petrol 80, by modern standards it's not a lot but I'd have it no other way.
Round town isn't great but depends how I drive it tbh.

That would workout at approx 14 L/100klm, if i could get that i would never sell it, thats better than my old Merc, are you sure about that.

If i fill the 95 main tank and it gets to approx half full, i have only travelled about 300 Klm. So lets say i used 50 liters of fuel, thats bout 16L/100klm, am i right, when i look at it, how accurate are the fuel tanks on these things. When it gets below 1/2 in the tank, say between half and 3/4 empty, it takes around 55 to 59 L of petrol, am i right in thinking what i am getting is normal for these trucks, and all the miles i have done are small trips around town and yo an from schools. I think maybe i am a little bit over reacting on the mileage for what im using it for. I dont know how much fuel costs in the UK, i havent been back for a few years, but where i live its $1.50 per L. I think thats about forty something sterling, but its about $75.00 here, which is a lot to put in twice per week, which is what i am doing now.

I think i will just run on the sub tank for a bit and see what that equates to. I am still trying to get her to change her mind.

Fill it up until the pump stops keep the receipt so you know how many litres you put in and zero your trip km counter . Next time you fill up put the numbers collected in here https://www.numbeo.com/gas-prices/country_result.jsp?country=Australia

Also i appreciate where your coming from with the mrs mike women are strange creatures you can tell her all day every day that Landcruiser is recognized the world over as the number one top dog 4x4 money can buy and she won't hear you .

But if a friend or neighbor says something similar she will be all ears :icon-wink:

Last edited:
That would workout at approx 14 L/100klm, if i could get that i would never sell it, thats better than my old Merc, are you sure about that.
I think Gary knows enough about cars to get a pretty accurate MPG Mike.

The thing is, you are comparing apples and oranges really as you have alluded to. Not the trucks you understand though they are different but you are comparing stop start around town driving to Gaty’s driving on a run where consumption will be better.

So, do as Shayne says and take it for a good run then fill it back up and see.
You could add an LPG conversion as long as you have one that oils the valves, then you have the choice of fuels. Non oiled conversions do valve damage. I’ve no info on the oiled ones but it is my belief that they are OK. Hopefully somebody else will know better and Post about them.

Also i appreciate where your coming from with the mrs mike women are strange creatures you can tell her all day every day that Landcruiser is recognized the world over as the number one top dog 4x4 money can buy and she won't hear you .

But if a friend or neighbor says something similar she will be all ears :icon-wink:
:laughing-rolling:
You are so right there Shayne.

Yeah I'm sure mate. Round town works out 12 to 14 mpg. Now if I start pressing the loud pedal more (especially in tunnels) smiles get bigger and the tank empties faster.
I've managed to use a full tank in 120 miles before :icon-twisted:

Keep the 105 get a new wife :lol:

The problem i have, and it takes some getting used to, driving a Merc was like driving a car, this is not and i am trying an experiment were i dont lead foot it lights or go made with the kick down etc. I am taking all your advice on board about fuel saving measures and i thank you for that. I have just filled up both tanks and i will try running on the sub tank until its empty, then i can see what i have done. The problem with the Merc was you have all this computer stuff telling you about fuel use and how far etc, this is all new to me as i have gone back to more simple way of driving.

OH YES I THINK I HAVE CHANGED HER MIND ABOUT GETTING RID OF THE TRUCK.

Get a 200 Series, far more refined than all the others, more reliable and cheaper to run as well.

Hum yes well the problem is cost, if i could have afforded a 200 i would have. Give me thirty grand for mine and i may just be able to afford one, thats how much they would start at , if at all.

As contrary as it may sound Mike she might be surprised to find she enjoys the attention a "modified" truck gets

My mrs absolutely refused to drive "that thing" until one day she had to , 6 months later all the calipers had seized on the coupe she had owned from new because she never drove it any more so we sold it and bought her a truck like mine only with a newer more powerful engine .

She still drove mine so i modified hers a little with a suspension lift and bigger wheel/tyre combo . Things settled for a while and she had hers and i had mine , but then she starts nagging me to get an 80 "we need the extra seats" she says . We don't have space for 3 cars says me .

The 80 is here now and she hates it so with logical common sense and a straight face she says well sell my truck because you have spent to much time and effort on yours to ever get rid of it , and i don't mind driving it , the 80 can be your next project and you like putting your stamp on things :angelic-cyan:

:confusion-shrug: i'm thinking of buying her a t-shirt that says :text-imwithstupid:

Sounds like good news Mike :dance:

TBH, I can’t tell you what my fuel consumption is because by modern standards, it’s a lot, I just fill it up when it gets low.

So that’s my response when folks ask (in lts / 100 km) I simply say don’t ask, it’s a lot.

It reminds me of the guy that was supposed to have written to Rolls Royce asking them what the power output of the engine in his Silver Shadow was.

The reply he got was “sufficient”.

Back