Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's hdj81

Cheers Clive. . Its happening quite well.. its not intended to be an arb style etc and I'm not much of a welder tbh.. sometimes to have a go and see what the result is. .

the difference between a good welder and a bad welder is a bad welder uses a grider to make it look better thats all!!!

Rear winch will also come in handy to get dead stuff on a car trailer.
80 is looking good mate.

Won't that bumper bend the chassis if you tap something solid. They are supposed to be sacrificial to an extent.

About a rear winch: Not to forget towing cars behind you when you make them go into placed that were not intended for cars in the first place :think:

Seem to remember a certain trail on the way the get grocery's last year :icon-twisted:

Oh yes the very narrow trail! Lol where we incurred roof damage to the 70 and 61.. yes very memorable! !!:icon-biggrin::lol:

Won't that bumper bend the chassis if you tap something solid. They are supposed to be sacrificial to an extent.

Thats a good point Frank, but I don't see anything sacrificial about the ARBs on mine, and they're supposed to know what they're designing.

Cheers Clive. . Its happening quite well.. its not intended to be an arb style etc and I'm not much of a welder tbh.. sometimes to have a go and see what the result is. .

the difference between a good welder and a bad welder is a bad welder uses a grider to make it look better thats all!!!

Rear winch will also come in handy to get dead stuff on a car trailer.
80 is looking good mate.

Thanks mate its coming on well. Just a pain that I haven't got enough spare time to give to it.. I'm planning to paint the truck and bumper in satin black panel by panel. May take a bit of time but once committed It'll happen!

Very true Frank.. I'm not intending to tap anything but am concerned about my neighbours driving style if you see what I mean!

20150131_171311.jpg
Ive managed to weld on the stock mounts to the bumper..
20150131_171444.jpg
Have welded a piece of 50 x 50 box to the lower centre edge. . Then ran out of welding gas.. typical when you have the time to do it! I want to add a slope to the centre section at the same angle as the sides. Just felt that when the number plate is on the centre would be a bit narrow. Spent the rest of the time cleaning up the front.. looking forward to the paint work going on!:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
prepping for wrapping!

Have managed to get some time to the 81. Want to get the body work moved forward. I have removed all the mid line plastic strips and have filled all the holes.
Just got it ready to get the lower repaired panels into primer.

20150309_133216.jpg
Quite a job removing the sticky strips that hold on the mid line strips. But prefer the look now..

I have ordered 20m of satin black wrap.. new to me and have read different opinions as to whether its easy or hard to fit.. one way of knowing. ...GIVE IT A GO! Any advice of experience with car wrapping would be gratefully accepted. .. really looking forward to the transformation! ! Thanks all :thumbup:

iwan get the panels nice and wet with a bit of soap as well. lots of sharp scalpal blades good heat gun.

You start from the middle of the panel and work your way out. its not to bad as long as you not in the wind!!

If you need help pm a number and can talk you through it.

What did you fill the holes with Iwan? Weld or filler?

Looking forward to seeing the wrapping ;-)

Cheers

Hey thanks Stu.. could be handy that.. i am planning to just primer and flat off.. is this fine for the wrap without top coat of paint?

I have cut square pieces of 1.5mm steel and tiger sealed them to the inside of the panels then filled them with filler Gav..
1425915028025.jpg
Quite flat.. had a real hard time with the crashed drivers front wing.. eventually gonna get a wing and inner to make it right.. pushing for the Mot.. should have the wrap tomorrow :icon-biggrin:

Nice, might give that a go on muxley - i like the no plastic trim look :icon-cool:

Nice, might give that a go on muxley - i like the no plastic trim look :icon-cool:

When you start its a bit of a can of worms.. but I prefer my cruisers all metal!! Roll on the wrapping! !:lol:

Wipe it over with meths before you apply wrap because it evaporates almost instantly , you will be floating around the sheds rafters by the time you've finished :lol:

Never seen it put just on primer i dont think its a good idea. Primer is pourous and so is the wrap so both will let water onto the metal.

I'm looking forward to seeing this as I did consider giving mine a gunmetal grey wrap as the lacquer has peeled from the roof and wings. I seem to remember seeing this on TV and a useful assistant seems to be essential.

Any pros and cons to wrapping a cruiser rather than painting?

Last edited:
Never seen it put just on primer i dont think its a good idea. Primer is pourous and so is the wrap so both will let water onto the metal.

Cheers man.. good info mate!.. I've got a litre of satin black here.. so I'll fire on a layer!
1425921017410.jpg
The primer has gone on well!!!

Good progress Iwan. Should be on the road by the end of April right?

It's a funny old world this Landcruiser lark! :lol:

I've done almost the opposite of what Iwan has done/is doing to his 80.

In my case the truck from new had no overarches, so with the bigger wheels/tyres I found I had to add them. Because the waistline trim is different on the models with/without overarches, I took mine off, the common denominator between Iwan and me!

I also wrapped mine, but only after a full re-spray in clear wrap, so I can't comment about priming or painting filler and such things, sorry.

All I would say is make sure the wrap has enough overlap around panel edges, especially the doors. I had the thickest and toughest wrap available and it's a bit stiff to stay in place around sharp corners such as door edges. It's starting to lift in a few places, but not so bad after 18 months and all weathers. It's still good though!

Good luck Iwan, a braver man than me... :icon-biggrin::clap:

Thats it Clive! After removing the wheel arches.. the waistline trims were too short.. was looking wrong!

Im not much of a sprayer.. ok with primer.. but top coat is a different beast altogether!.. which is why I've gone for the 20m of wrap...

Thanks mate but fingers crossed I'm not going to make a mess of it! !

1425925627042.jpg
Only 1 run... not bad for a timber framer!!:lol:

Back