Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's hdj81

Indeed I may of added too much thinners and didn't leave it to go off on the passenger side.. just went for the thick coat. I went for a cup of tea and returned to add more paint on the drivers side. Two very different results, almost looks like 2 different people have painted a side each!!:think:

Its the only way to learn... delving in and having a go at it!! :lol:

I agree Iwan if nobody just jumped in we would still be running around with spears and living in caves.

The garage i've been spying on only does insurance work so they have the booth , as Iwan says the only way to learn is to have a go so i rattle can painted my rear wing and the finished result turned out as good as i could hope for . Trouble is it won't match the mirror finish on the rest of my truck because i bunged the same garage some cash to polish my truck when it got keyed quite some time ago . 3M polishing kit they use and i was astonished at how aggressive such a mild abrasive can be so i thought i'd share it in the spirit of learning if you like . Any way on with the wrap satin black mad max style :icon-cool:

1426070179497.jpg
Its just arrived.. so a bit of a taste of things to come! !
Still got a bit of prep yet.. i like the shade and tone of it!:icon-biggrin:

Henry Ford would be proud Iwan…[emoji5]️

Cheers StarCruiser!.. you mentioned earlier that your tempted to follow suit by wrapping your's. . Seems common on 80's to have peeling lacquer. Funny that cause the earlier series dont really do that.

I got a couple of quotes to get it wrapped and they ranged from 1500 to 2100.... supprisingly the materials costed around 180.00..

Didn't get a chance to look at it today.. Returned to building a steel framed building that I've doing for a while..

Am intrigued to see the result.. cheers!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interesting Iwan, I had picked up on one or two that had peeling lacquer but wasn't aware it was widespread.

I've not decided what to do yet. Not sure about edges peeling, chance of ripping if caught on branches for example and general resistance to marking. Also any detrimental effects re rusting etc. and that I believe that two pack paints are (correct me if I'm wrong here) much harder these days than perhaps the paints of 21 years ago?

I do like the idea of doing (and potentially redoing) one panel at a time.

I too am interested in the result.

wrapping

Had mixed emotions start to the wrap job. Tricky start tbh. A new experience that became less of a challenge.
20150312_164140.jpg
Was disappointed that I had messed up the corner where it goes up to the roof. The main problem when I was struggling was that I wasnt using the heat gun enough, after full heat the job was looking up!

Well happy and feel confident that I will get this done.

More to come :icon-cool:

Good on you for having a go Iwan. :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing it all wrapped. :icon-biggrin:

Good on you for having a go Iwan. :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing it all wrapped. :icon-biggrin:

Cheers Ben. . Its a fair thing to do this wrapping business lol. I've had another go with it. I now know why people just do their bonnet on their VW transporter!
20150313_174334.jpg
On close inspection it has defects! Its a very time consuming exercise. Ideally it needs a decent full respray so am thinking now that the wrap will last for a few years then do a full professional paint job when I have the funds to do it. :think:

Looking at youtube vids to wrap well you need a heated workshop too. So the panels are warmer. . Looks to be to my disadvantage in this workshop.

It'll happen!:thumbup:

Well done looks great from the photos. We used to heat panels up with a space heater before painting so tgat may help if you haven't finished yet. Didnt think of it really. Bet its alot colder in wales then here.

Well done looks great from the photos. We used to heat panels up with a space heater before painting so tgat may help if you haven't finished yet. Didnt think of it really. Bet its alot colder in wales then here.

Thanks mate. I think it'll be fine for a while, like I said its got imperfections but it's gonna be plastered in mud so they wount really matter lol. Yeah quite a bit colder in the hills here in Wales. . There's plenty left to do so I'll try to get some heat into the panels before fitting the wrap. Hope to get the front wings and bonnet done on Sunday if I can get round the front will be getting there!:thumbup:

My wrapping enthusiasm has gone to a point where I have given up with it. Did a very tragic job to the drivers front wing and that was it.. no more:oops:! So have faced the fact that I need to stick to the day job. It's a hell of a hard thing to do. I looked at the drivers side and tbh too many imperfections so have taken it all off cause I wouldn't like to put my name on it!lol

I really liked the effect of the wrap.. good to try and make it happen but I'm not afraid to admit defeat... At least all the rust has been treated and coated with new paint... going to get it all back together tomorrow and take it to the local test site... :thumbup:

Fair play - at least you gave it a good go, so no shame in that! :thumbup:

I need to wrap my bonnet following some serious paint flaking and was hoping that it would be relatively easy. However as soon as you get multiple curved surfaces, things get a bit difficult....:icon-twisted:

Last edited:
Nothing ventured nothing gained , i'm gutted for you and i'm sure so are many others who were also hoping you would tell us that its easy . Looking at the other work you've done Iwan i have no doubt you have more patience than me so thanks for the warning .

I share your disappointment and admire your courage for deciding to throw in the towel and go back to square 1.

One question, did you try this on your own or engage a useful assistant?

That's a big shame Iwan, thought you'd cracked that one even allowing for some blemishes.

11/10 for best effort anyway, nothing ventured ....and all that :thumbup:

Hey thanks a lot for the replies. .. I appreciate the support etc.. I do think that it would have been a different kettle of fish if I'd attempted to do this on a hot summer's evening. . Warmer environment with hot panels. How it was that the heat gun was just effecting a small surface area. Went into this real blind with no idea! I have risen out of this with some understanding and have plenty of satin black wrap left over! !:lol: Full steam ahead with the mot now!:thumbup:

yep, the secret to wrapping is warmth, however another is poor lacquer, the lacquer can come away from the paint sticking to the wrap.
took me 3 attempts to wrap the bonnet of my Stagea.

Back