Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's hdj81

Hi Iwan one big job coming up on the 80 get on with it and get back to the 45 hope you r well will take in a bit . A big from Tony.

Yo Tony! Good to hear from you mate! I trust you're well buddy?

P1020394.JPG

Been flying around in this absolutely love it! But after a while you jump back in the 80!! Now you're talking the 80 is the real deal!:icon-biggrin::thumbup:

Hi I am well hope you r all good and that looking like a lot of fun all the best.

I've had such a challenge with this repair. Working full time and hitting it over time when the time is right!

P1020395.JPG

Faced with such decay and use. Went liberal with the floor cut at the beginning, but more needed cutting out.
P1020396.JPG

Initial patch, but it would never give enough space to work on the body mount.
P1020398.JPG

Disaster zone lol!
P1020400.JPG

Much better access now.
P1020401.JPG

New floor patch!
P1020432.JPG

First template for this area.
P1020433.JPG

Made a mould of the shape of the wheel arch inner where it goes back to the sill.
P1020434.JPG

And formed it quite successfully, despite the fact that it's straight but a good start.
P1020465.JPG

Formed a bit and made a doubled up part that thickened up the single layer.
P1020509.JPG

The floor to centre of the wheel arch was f'ed so used the edge of a hilux bonnet for this!
P1020510.JPG

Not too many pics of the 4mm plate body mount repair.... they're social distanced weld's! Look good from 2.0m and a blind man on a horse doin 100mph wouldn't notice LOL! Strong repair!
P1020513.JPG

Today got the patches in and some good welds too! Thankfully!
P1020514.JPG

Have used pu sealant brushed with thinners and it does go on thick from the silicon gun. :thumbup:
P1020515.JPG

Proper happy with the outcome... It reallyl has been a challenge! I'm leaving the floor in for now but it is unlevel due to carrying weight and has lots of holes in it!
It's ok for now but next year there's a full cut out and replace goin to happen and it'll secure years more of use.

I have tomorow back on this so hopefully can knock it out. Looking forward in getting it back in action!:thumbup::icon-biggrin:

Truly epic stuff mate , dont worry if you think the welds look a bit rough it-s not a beauty contest.Form follows function .brit bikes had good looking welds on the frame &the ones on 80s Japanese crossers & trails bikes looked like birdshit. Guess which ones broke

Hi Iwan I love the run out in that 70s it was a lot of fun a very big thanks for all your help on Sunday wot a good job on the 80s you r just great on all the job keep up the good jobs will be in touch seen thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its the stuff you can't see that soaks up all the time and money bravo to you for having the patience to do it right :thumbup:

There’s a bit of coincidence going on here, took my truck to my trusted welder/painter today, asked him to do what he can to keep the old girl on the road for a few more years, and left him to it. The first 2 photos he sent to me were these...

it’s not pretty...

15FF4D94-54B2-4EE8-A9D7-8093F408543A.jpeg
5C7B110C-8BCB-4E56-A66C-61BA73B777F8.jpeg

You dont know how lucky you are Clive if i said that to professionals around here i'd get 3 grands worth of gaffa tape and Polyfilla painted with a broom i reckon .

Always looks worse than it is. I'm sure your guys will turn it into a piece of beauty in no time all ready for more adventures and trails soon.

Had a 8.30 to 4pm hit on this today and can say I'm knackered from it!
P1020516.JPG

Had this offcut cill piece from my 74 other project and spent quite a few hours on it to make it fit. Shaping the curve was a mission.
P1020523.JPG

This tool is invaluable in making a rebate in the steel to make the two panels go flush. You turn the head around and it punches the spot weld hole in the opposite piece.... To be honest I've never had any luck in butt welding two pieces together (old to replacement). You can pick these up on ebay for FA! Aand from the factory panels are spotwelded with tight joints.
P1020518.JPG

Four hours and a little more to get here. It's pretty flush..

P1020517.JPG

P1020520.JPG

State at end of play... got a straight line on the sill line so happy! Been trying to get minimal filler... all about getting close contact between original body work and new panels..

P1020519.JPG

Basic kit for a job like this Lol! (love a pic of the tools at hand!).. :icon-biggrin: :thumbup:

Never an easier undertaking. Great job there!! You done yourself proud :thumbup:

Thanks man! The reward is in having the truck back! Been 4 months now and have really enjoyed the 71 have done close to 5000 miles in it... but can't (or hard to) replace the 81.. :thumbup:

Hi Iwan I love the run out in that 70s it was a lot of fun a very big thanks for all your help on Sunday wot a good job on the 80s you r just great on all the job keep up the good jobs will be in touch seen thanks

Yo Tone! It was Sunday when we moved "Chuggie" the 40 with dumper truck tyres on it that instigated the push on the work on this! It was your first ride in a 70 and I've never seen you so quiet when we were sliding over that cross road!:laughing-rolling: Lol

Got it home safely mate!:thumbup: Bet you woun't forget your first ride in a 70!:laughing-rolling:

Sorry to see the condition Clive.... When I had a look at mine in October I discovered the condition and quite frankly it did affect me a lot.

These 80's are chipping on agewise and as soon as you prod away at them it becomes apparent whats needed if it's needed.

Bugger.. They're hard to replace and it woun't be the same vehicle.

Is your trusted man the same one who prettied up The Phoenix? if so he will make yours like new Clive, so no worries there.

Hi Iwan yòu r right I will not forget the first-ever ride in a 70s and I will not forget the help of my good friend Iwan with the moveing of Chuggie thanks for all that help

Is your trusted man the same one who prettied up The Phoenix? if so he will make yours like new Clive, so no worries there.

Yeah Chas, he did the respray on mine 7 years ago and it’s held up pretty well.
I was pleased with what he did on your 80, my word, he got every panel straight, didn’t he..

Sorry to see the condition Clive.... When I had a look at mine in October I discovered the condition and quite frankly it did affect me a lot.

These 80's are chipping on agewise and as soon as you prod away at them it becomes apparent whats needed if it's needed.

Bugger.. They're hard to replace and it woun't be the same vehicle.

Yeah Iwan, it’s a bugger, but at 26 years young, what can we expect? It’s only bodywork, the chassis is sound, so weld a bit on here and there, coat of paint, and away you go.

These trucks aren’t meant to be too shiny anyway, are they? :lol:
got a couple more photos off him today... work in progress...

0BA753A2-CDD2-4AAC-A6BA-3ADDF215217B.jpeg
28A49E78-CF4D-49A5-9FFB-7C250B628C6D.jpeg
542FA83B-971F-49F8-9DCD-5B8903F4FF30.jpeg
54E8484C-A057-43C1-96F9-6779EB48BD92.jpeg

Not as neat as your work Iwan, with your magic rebater tool thingy, looks like he’s patching the patches that he patched up 7 years ago :lol:

Never mind it’ll look ok with a splodge of black on it in those arches. The sill was ok 7 years ago, till I dented it with a log that kicked up going through the forest. He pulled the dent out, but bending the steel caused it to rust from the inside... now that’s getting a patch too...

Should be picking it up tomorrow, so we’ll see how it looks then...

Yeah Chas, my word, he got every panel straight, didn’t he..
I seem to remember that was only temporarily, owing to that tree up your lane jumping out in front of me!

Back