Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

J100 Amazon with 1hd-ft engine only revs at tickover speeds - why?

Ezzlar

Country Flag
spain
Ok. I can rev her up to 1200 rpm but that's it. So I've got control on the first 10% of movement on the throttle lever. The rest of the movement nothing happens at all.

What I did so far: there was a gargling noise from the engine and it sounded like it's not firing on all cylinders. I adjusted the tappet play and the noise is gone and the engine sounds a lot better but still no revs.

I checked the timing belt (it's due to be changed and will be changed). It has not slipped and the camshaft is only 1.5mm behind (measured from the position marker on the sprocket). This shouldn't be the cause for the revving problem.

I have not checked the fuel supply yet, because... it doesn't really behave like a fuel supply problem (clogged fuel filter or air being drawn into the system) but I may be wrong with that.

Other observations:

When you turn on the ignition there is no engine control light coming on. This could be
  • Because there is no such light (there is a computer though)
  • The computer is broken
  • The light is broken
  • There is a wiring problem
  • Oh... I'll check today if there is a fuse blown for the computer.
I don't even know if a broken computer could even have an impact on the injection pump as it appears to be entirely mechanic. Or not?

I would be grateful for any idea from someone that is familiar with this engine / injection pump.

Could be your throttle pedal itself. Electric fly by wire on 100 series.

An update.

Fuses are ok. I don't know why there is even a computer in this vehicle. Just for diagnosis?

There is a very high probability that the fuel is rotten and causing these problems. I opened the fuel line from the manual pump / fuel filter unit to check if the fuel flow is good. The fuel in there smells like vegetable oil. Not fossil diesel fuel. Also the car has been very little used in the last five years as it is being transferred from UK to Spanish registration. There is a lot of red tape involved in that process so it has been taking a long time.

It is entirely possible the vegetable oil in there is also five years old and caused the sudden change in behaviour. Rather unlike the normal behaviour where the fuel filter clogs up over time.

I've got a new fuel filter ordered in and will check it out with fresh fossil fuel from a jerry can.

Could be your throttle pedal itself. Electric fly by wire on 100 series.

I believe this would only affect the later models with 1HD-FTE engine, not the 1HD-FT as the former is electronically controlled and the latter mechanical.

What is the model code and month of manufacture of your 100?
All the HDJ-100 had the 1HD-FTE engine, from 1998 to 2007.

What is the model code and month of manufacture of your 100?
All the HDJ-100 had the 1HD-FTE engine, from 1998 to 2007.
Hmmm, I haven't had a chance to go to the car yet. It's entirely possible that this is not the engine that's supposed to be in there. There has been a lot of tuning done, but I thought this was all about the suspension. Also I'm quite sure the injection pump settings have been tuned to the max.

If this is true it will be another big problem to get this car converted to Spanish number plates...

Yar, that's what it is. If I look for a J80 with 4.2l 24 valve engine I get all the right parts all of a sudden. The gaskets for the turbo => intake duct with EGR where all wrong before.

... it's a beautiful engine though. I understand why this has been done.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back