Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Jate rings and snatch recoveries

Trevor

Country Flag
england
This question is for the more engineering minded than I am.

The LR chaps down the pub have all fitted jate rings directly onto the chassis and tell me this is a stronger and more robust fixing for recovery straps/bridles etc as some recoveries require a bit of a shunt to get the stricken vehicle moving (not talking kinetic straps here).

Digging around the 'tinterweb suggests the loop eye on the front of the 120 probably isn't really up to the job.

Has anyone fitted jate rings to their chassis on the 120?

Has anyone come up with a different solution?

Should I bother or worry?

Tell the LR bits it's because the 120 doesn't get stuck like their POS :)

Seriously though I've not yet done anything until I replace the barbie bumper, and the I'll put on swivel recovery eyes. I've used the tie-down points a couple of times now with no real issues - and was once pretty heavily bogged down!

its the most solid place hey could find on a Landy thats why, then again that should be checked very closely cos even thats questionable

The standard position will be fine for normal recovery but better recovery points should be made should you be expecting getting into the heavy stuff quite regular

JATE rings are for lashing down not recovery :)

The word JATE is a acronym that comes from 'Joint Air Transport Evaluation unit.

Proper U shaped JATE rings were designed by the Joint Air Transport Establishment which is British Military unit.

It tests and trials ANYTHING that would be put in or under a British military transport aircraft/helicopter.

Jate rings hold land rovers in the back of Hercules and C17 Globemasters when flying all around the world either tactically (low level) and straight and flat.

Also when you see land rovers etc slung under helicopters Jate rings are what are holding them there.

So JATE rings are not originally designed for vehicle recovery then :!: :think: I bet Mr Toyota expected it's Land Cruisers to be recovered from the pig tail front recovery hook they fit though :D But If in doubt why not do as I've done & buy a second pig tail & fit it to the other chassis rail then you can spread any heavy recovery loads equally through both chassis rails with a bridle :thumbup:

P9090437.jpg

PA010645.jpg

Ian Rubie got me my second pig tail :thumbup: Don't forget to get the longer bolts @ the same time :D

So are there existing bolt holes on the 120 chassis front for these pigtails? How much are they?

Trevor said:
So are there existing bolt holes on the 120 chassis front for these pigtails? How much are they?
Yes & not as cheap as you may wish, but cheaper through our Ian I'm sure :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
sae70 said:
Didn't finish fitting the pig tail as the existing bolts are to short so will need to get some longer ones.

P9090437.jpg

sae70 said:
..............I'm after a couple (2) 12mm x 1.25P x 60mm 8.8 bolts to fit my pig tail tow hook that Mr Rubie supplied me :) Did really think about getting a couple of bolts @ the same time :roll: :) All I can find is a chap on the bay selling 4 for a cost of £13.60 whitch is fine but I only want 2 & £13.60 for two bolts :think: Mmmmm..........So befor I make the purchase I thought that I'd ask you chaps if you can help me with either a couple of bolts or a different supplier (preferably on-line) :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=8746&p=55093

Steve, you beat me to that answer. And a fine answer it was too.

D44 do some nice ARB recovery hooks that fit and they are only about a tenner each. Rated at 10 000 lbs

Chris

You the second person this week to take (or almost take) advice from Land Rover drivers about your Land Cruiser. That's like Father O'Connor at church telling me how I should pleasure my wife. :mrgreen:

I'm bloomin' surrounded by the buggers in my pub, however I was purely interested in the bits that they bolt on, you know, the bits that work (until the bit they bolted to rusts away).

I'm glad I didn't get married where you did :lol:

its not just your pub matey they are everywhere :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interestingly though, the 80 spacing is different to the 90 and 120 spacing. So you can't stick some old 80 pigtails on there I'm afraid.

C

Chris said:
Steve, you beat me to that answer. And a fine answer it was too
I'm humbled by your praise :) Thank you :D

Crispin said:
You the second person this week to take (or almost take) advice from Land Rover drivers about your Land Cruiser. That's like Father O'Connor at church telling me how I should pleasure my wife. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: PMSL :clap:

Hmmm ok, what can people recommend that will fit a 120? I do like the idea of bridling to halve the forces on each chassis leg. I hope not to need a violent recovery but for the sake of a few quid I would rather be prepared just in case.

I do have a tow bar on the rear but I assume it would make sense to do the same at the back too.

Any links to products would help too.

Trevor, you have this sort of thing

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page= ... &Itemid=14

I know there are cheaper, just can't locate at the second. However, methinks you may be worrying a teensy bit too much about this. These attach to the chassis. Not the wheels and not the body. The chassis is the heart of the vehicle and it's extremely durable. Can you damage it? Well of course, but pulling hard on a recovery rope, I wouldn't worry too much. Not unless you plan to cross the Congo or something. There is huge strength in there. Actually having a bridle is good, but not one that is too short. If it is, you chance pulling the ends of the chassis rails in. KInetic products are a really good idea and I think that Damar actually do a kinetic bridle.

Chris

Pro-Comp UK used to sell them under their own name till they went pop :!: Someone else now sells Pro-Comp gear in the UK now but can't remember who :roll: They are also sold under the brand name 'Black Rat' :D

I had a couple of Kinetic bridles made for myself by a chandler (24mm Nylon rope) :) Not cheap, but very nice :D I've since sold one & the other won't fit the pig tails on Fiery :(

P1010190.jpg

P1010191.jpg

P1010131.jpg

I used to run with them pre rigged with an 8000mm Kinetic strop ready to use :thumbup:

P1010432.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010162.jpg

P1010003.jpg

as other have said, those hook things coupled with a bridle look ideal for the job. i don't think the folk in the pub were pulling your leg by stating the importance of decent recovery points, but i think you'll have a hard time fitting land rover jate rings. all you need after that is an equally good fixing point (or two) at the back. worst comes to the worst, you can wrap a strap round the axle, but its more than likely under a foot of mud, so some points higher up and attached to the chassis would be good.

sae70 said:
P1010432.jpg
jpg[/img]

I have the same picture in the archives of my old disco sitting on that lump at bures

Ive made my own recovery points on the front out of the plate we had at work and i also put the bridle on pre off roading :thumbup:

Joe

I am getting one made at the moment for my 90, getting the chassis legs extended a little out thru the bumper, as if you unexpextadly get stuck your towing hook is all the way undet the bumper, which could be MUD.

PS, how do you get the axles to go so far up/down on that suzuki??????

Back