Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Juddering Pulling Away

Rob Johnson

Hi All,

I've noticed my cruiser has developed a judder when pulling away in first, it also sometimes does it between first and second.

If you are really careful with the clutch and give a few extra revs it seems OK.

Was thinking perhaps the clutch, an engine mount or something with the propshaft perhaps?

Any advice please?

Cheers Folks

Is it firth thing after it is sat for a while?

My 80 does it first thing in the morning. i reckon crud on the clutch plate gets burned off in the morning.

Quite common in a 90 manual toward the end of the clutch's life. Often it seems that it's the springs in the plate or sometimes a crack in the lining. I had that and swapped my clutch. It cured it. There was some meat left on the plate which was in little danger of failing according to the spec on friction thickness. But happier to get it swapped out. Especially with off roading. Tony hasn't managed to break that part yet since he bought it.

Unless you are rally handy on the spanners and have a ramp, I'd pay to have it done. I did on my own on the drive. Nurp, not doing that again. No Siree. Err other than the fact I'm about to do the same with an 80. Damn.

Chris

Cheers Guys,

How much do you think I'm looking at to replace the clutch?

:character-beavisbutthead:

Be warned . . .

There are two stlyes of pressure plate - depending on whether your flywheel has a rim around the outside or is flat across the whole face.

Naturally I was sent the wrong one and had to swap the box out twice :roll: (despite quoting the chassis details).

DSCN5078.jpg

DSCN5074.jpg

The friction plates are the same for both pressure plates.

I got mine from Milners, the correct cover (for flat flywheel) was a bit cheaper than the wrong one.

Current prices are on their website.

I may have to replace mine again as it judders a bit when towing. This is after I fried it pulling a large van out of the snow last Dec :oops:

Bob.

Thanks for the heads up! :thumbup:

I don't know how I would tell without opening it up but at least I'll know there could be an incorrect part issue and hopefully will be able to tell straight away.

New RockSliders might have to wait!!!! :cry:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi there - I happen to have a genuine Toyota Clutch kit collecting dust in my garage if you need one...

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sounds interesting, how much are you wanting for it?

Mine is an import, 3.0td, It is a 97 'P' lwb. Do you reckon it would fit?

Cheers

:character-beavisbutthead:

Back