Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just about to re-carpet my landcruiser

jeellison

Good evening everyone.

Just a quick question if anyone can oblige.

Im about to re-carpet my cruiser and I don't know what type of underlay to use? Felt, foam, rubber?

I read there is a risk it could hold water and rot the base?

If anyone know the answer I would really appreciate it as I want to get started on this tommorow.

Thanks

James

I'd hazard a guess that a decent sound proofing material would suffice, Most will be made up of some type of high density foam which will naturally be non-absorbent. I vaguely recall reading on http://www.ih8mud.com about people doing this with an acoustic foam with a self-adhesive foil backing. Google should yeild a few results...

Just make sure whatever you use is non-absorbent and the "rot" issue shouldn't be a problem

What you need is "Cowmat" they use it in barns & stables for animals, its quite dense but light, easy to cut with a blade too & waterproof. Available in 12mm-25mm-50mm thickness about £27 a 6x4 sheet from farm type places like Mole Valley etc.

I've just used some on the wifes horsebox, a friend uses it as sound deadening in old classics, its brilliant stuff :mrgreen:

IMAG0627.jpg

mike54 said:
I have that in the back of my defender. It's fantastic stuff but I really can't agree with it being light. this is the stuff i have - note the weight

http://www.rubbermattinguk.co.uk/rubber ... sp?m=&p=30

We use that in our stables.

I had half a ton delivered, its incredibly difficult to move on your own as its heavy and 'slithers' about. It think its made from re-cycled tyres.

The 'cow mat' is a much lighter product.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
BobMurphy said:
mike54 said:
I have that in the back of my defender. It's fantastic stuff but I really can't agree with it being light. this is the stuff i have - note the weight

http://www.rubbermattinguk.co.uk/rubber ... sp?m=&p=30

We use that in our stables.

I had half a ton delivered, its incredibly difficult to move on your own as its heavy and 'slithers' about. It think its made from re-cycled tyres.

The 'cow mat' is a much lighter product.

Bob.

This cowmat is the lighweight stuff it weighs naff all, its not rubber but EPDM or something, one sheet weighs about 3kg not 30kg like the rubber stuff.

Cptsideways said:

OT sorry -

Is that one of them Costco Ali jacks? I was having a look at them a couple weeks ago.
Happy with it?

Hi

I used 1 inch thick felt on mine. You should be able to get it from classic car retrimmers. DON'T use non absorbent!!! If you get a leak there will be capillary action between the floor and the rubber and once wet it never dries out. Felt or other breathes. I've seen many floors with rubber directly even onto painted metal and the rot gallops away. Using non absorbent ABOVE the felt is acceptable but not ideal. I understand you may wish to stop any spills soaking in too far .e.g. wet boots; but whole breathable is best in case you have a slight/constant leak in a screen for example.

Frank

Crispin said:
Cptsideways said:

OT sorry -

Is that one of them Costco Ali jacks? I was having a look at them a couple weeks ago.
Happy with it?

Mines an Alcon I think, I use it pretty much every day & for racing, its been brill. Had it for over two years now. It's long & low which is ideal for my racecar, most of the ally ones are low & short so useless. Only thing to watch for is make sure its flat or it can get a bit of a lean on. Also works fine on my 80 LC.

Back