Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just loving this cold weather.......

Dark Dude

Last Tuesday morning I filled up my truck up from empty with LPG (69.9p per litre) in Wolverhampton before making the 150 mile journey back home to Tottenham Hale, London. To date, I've done just over 306 miles and it's still going strong and I reckon it's got at least another 50 miles in the tank. So as long as the weather is anywhere near freezing point, I'm a happy motoring bunny as far as me dipping my hand in my pocket each time I visit the petrol station. I would be interested to know if anybody else currently running LPG is getting similar MPG results?

John

Hello John

As you know I got a V8 with LPG conversion on 1st Jan. Typically I will get 200 miles for about £52. I wonder what size tank you have got and at what speed you drive at. Over Easter I was towing my 1800kg twin axle van at 60ish and did 100 miles for £24. Thats roughly 28mpg price wise. My 4.2 diesel 80 would have only done 16 or 17 mpg if I was lucky.

paul c

...To date, I've done just over 306 miles and it's still going strong and I reckon it's got at least another 50 miles in the tank.....
John

To get that sort of mileage, you must have a 100 litre tank (~85 litre capacity) or bigger LPG tank?

What I notice is that in the colder weather it takes just that little bit longer to switch over to LPG. In the summer it is usually less than 1 mile, in these conditions it can be nearly 2 miles before it switches to LPG.

I've got a 100ltr tank, the most I've ever had was 250mls from a tankful it's usually 200-210mls.

Mostly motorway driving (Shropshire/Midlands back to London) as well as the 406 North Circular. 70 mph steady and no towing. All done in the extreme (extreme for the UK) cold temperatures. I know that I'm driving on fumes and the weather has recently picked up, which is a shame because I really wanted to know just how far I could push it. I don't know the science behind why driving LPG in the cold is so much more economical than doing the same thing in the heat of summer but I do know it makes a BIG difference to your wallet.

John

Back