Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Key won't turn in ignition

Wandering Aengus

One day my key is working perfectly in the ignition, the next it won't turn at all.

I've tried wiggling it for ages, wiggling the (locked) steering wheel, using the spare key, copious amounts of WD-40, giving it a decent tap with a hammer, running a paper clip up and down the inside of the barrel...

I know a lot of people say to get a new key cut from the VIN number but seeing as both my keys are working fine in the door lock i'm thinking it can't be the problem?

The last thing I can think of/read about is to force the barrel to the ACC position so I can remove and replace it?

Is this what a locksmith would do or would they have another solution?

Any help would be appreciated.

Silly question.........is it the right key. I have an 80 and a 100 with both keys on the same ring and I often put the wrong one in. Hopefully you've picked up the wrong Toyota key somehow.

Got a big bunch of keys by any chance?
Quickest way to wear out an ignition barrel is heavy keys swinging around hanging off the ignition key.
New key is first option, hopefully that works otherwise get a new barrel sorted.
It's pretty much all a locksmith will do anyway, I find drilling the lock out is less risky than forcing if it comes to that.

@Frank - a silly question but also a real possibility in my case! Sadly not the cause this time around though.

@MuckyPup - yes, I do have a fairly heavy key ring, lesson learned there I guess. I'll price a new key tomorrow.

Thank you both for your input.

Key/barrel code can be found on the passenger door lock (RHD vehicles) so a good lock smith can cut to code from that. From my dealings with Toyota here in Australia, they can supply a new blank key, but not one cut to code, alternatively the lock smith was able to cut it to code from looking at the (remaining) indentations on the key. Works fine now!

Both our keys had worn to the point that they wouldn't start the car reliably, so we needed them doing. They still work the doors occasionally...

Happens a lot here in the hot dusty climate, not just cars but houses too. Probably occurs once or twice a month so we use a graphite powder 'puffer'. It probably works 9 times out of ten if the key still enters the lock, if the key will not enter then this tends to fail miserably most of the time. A new key with the 'puffer' will not help if you cannot get it in there in the first place.

Tip:

Keep some kitchen roll on the dash to wipe the key when you take it out, the graphite gets all over your hands for the first few uses.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just got it to work!

I bought some graphite powder this morning which felt like it loosened it up a bit but didn't get it to turn.

Yesterday I watched a youtube video of someone in a Chevy pickup whose solution to a similar looking problem was to give the key, while in the lock, a good solid belt with a rubber mallet. This in combination with the powder seems to have done the trick for me!

The only issue now is that i'm afraid to turn it off and see if it works a second time...

Thanks for the advice guys.

Just been to Timpsons because i have a similar problem with the Hummer only it starts fine but sometimes wouldn't turn off , stops the engine but not electrics . A very helpful young lad at Timpsons reckoned i had no chance of buying proper graphite powder so gave me his and asked me to bring it back :thumbup: . Did no good for the Hummer which now definitely needs a new barrel because following some of the above advice i put the key in and gave it a tap with a screwdriver handle which only succeeded in making the problem worse :doh:

While i was at it i thought i would give the cruiser a squirt of powder too and my heart missed a beat when as a result i could not get my key in the barrel :shock: , bit of fiddling got it working again though so i'm gonna guess my cruiser barrel is good for years to come .

The lad a Timpsons said i should get the barrel out of the Hummer and bring it to him or try blowing air through it so there you go , a cheap fix might be possible .

Glad you got it to work, the little brass pieces can get jammed up (and down) the graphite just allows them to free up.

All hail the 'puffer powder' :pray:

regards

Dave

Back