Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Kill switch

Kano1Q84

Country Flag
australia
G'day guys,
Just a quick one if anyone can assist. I'm helping a mate install a kill switch on his 2002 100 series. He leaves it at the train station for work and just wants to have that little bit extra protection.

I'd initially thought of running a switch from the fuel pump relay which, when disconnected, should prevent the car from starting. Only thing is, his car is unleaded petrol and gas. So I'm not sure if this will prevent the gas from starting.

Any other suggestions on what I could add the switch to in order to prevent his car from starting?

Thanks in advance,

Kane

Is it a Manual or an Auto ?

If an Auto it won't start when in 'D' (etc.) so a locking bar that fits between the handbrake and gear lever might do the trick.

It really has to be simple and foolproof.

Bob.

I used one of those Chas, for many years on different cars and vans which were manual, with gear lever more or less in line with handbrake. This in effect locked the box in first gear, which doesn't help a tea leaf.
I don't think they will fit autos, as the two are normally offset. The single pivot on it, is not enough to compensate a big offset.

I have a Krooklok just like this and you are correct. The single pivot doesn't work on my 99 Auto Collie but might on newer model LC.

Ahh, now youre talking Mick, the original crooklock that had a hook each end, to go under the brake pedal and over the outer rim of steering wheel. No steering, no brakes, if you nicked it.
Several versions of that now on the market, that would work against a casual thief and delay a more determined one.
I've actually got a stop lock as added protection for my 120, put simply, an extended lockable bar that locks across the steering wheel, and interferes with steering, either up against your legs/seat, window and or dash.
Various models of that out there too, all simple effective, low cost devices.
Of course none of those mentioned actually prevent engine starting.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oops, we sorta went off the rails from the original query. Used to be so easy to whip out the dizzy rotor, no wires, no hassle AND no one nicked it!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, you're right Mick, apologies to Kano, who did ask specifically about a switch install.

I would say the easiest way would be to find the feed to the starter solenoid and put a hidden switch in that wire .... if it won't crank it won't start on either gas or petrol .

I have a delayed kill-switch - who works too if I had to handover the keys (carjacking)

Have 2 min after starting to set, otherwise the car will shut off because of no fuel....

Works great but is a pain in the ass, if you have to give your car away (mechanic, cleaning)

But if I`m sleeing in my car and someone else did try to rob the car - it is nice to give the key relaxed. He dont will drive many kilometers ;.-)

Surfy

I have a delayed kill-switch - who works too if I had to handover the keys....

Hi Surfy,
I know it's an old thread, but was just reading your post, regarding a delayed killed switch, which as you mention, is definitely better to be relaxed in the event of a carjacking.... especially if say, in S. Africa, where in some areas "life can be 'cheap'! in front of a barrel of a gun!
So just wondering if the delayed kill switch was an off the shelf item? Cheers

A hidden switch is a good second line of defence in addition to a quality visual deterrent, like a steering lock etc. with an auto I'd lookintom wiring a hidden switch into the "D" starter lockout circuit so the ECU thinks it"s in drive when it isn't.

Could hide in plain site if you have spot and fog and accessories in a switch bank easily enough or use a Toyota switch from another vehicle just have to pop out a blank or go the whole hog and fit an inline fuel cut off either switch or key activated or even wired switch from low tension lead is one just remembered from the 70s if petrol engine

Does anyone make a remote fuel shutoff , would let them get far enough away that you had time to load your gun and you wouldn't need sniper skills :icon-biggrin:

Does anyone make a remote fuel shutoff , would let them get far enough away that you had time to load your gun and you wouldn't need sniper skills :icon-biggrin:
My tracker has an out for just this purpose. You could simply connect this to the fuel pump. The tracker has zones so you can let the car go so far before either I get an alarm or I can program it to cut off.

I know Durite make a fuel cut off switch solenoid thing so there has got to be other stuff people make and tracker systems telematrics window films to stop smash and grab and can't be sure if I read it or seen it but if you press the lock button on the remote twice on a 100 series the second press operates a dead lock might have it mixed up for which vehicle or system I've had in the past but been pressing the button twice since I've had me truck and still got it

My mechanic did it, so I dont have technical details... :-(

Surfy

Back