Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser 80 4.2 TD Amazon

Sammy

Country Flag
scotland
Good afternoon folks,

I'm reluctantly thinking about letting go my Land Cruiser 80 next month in March due an impending house move.
It's a 1997 all original dark metallic green Amazon 4.2 Td GX Manual carefully looked after and runs perfectly. The previous "female" owner had the LC for 16 years keeping a full service history. It has had an easy 169,000 miles ferrying her kids around.
In my ownership it's had the same life ferrying my kids around with mainly my wife driving it.

I've had it fully serviced, a hands free Pioneer Bluetooth stereo fitted and had the wheels refurbished to original spec
It'll have 1 years mot by the time I advertise it in March.

The crucks of this post is pricing, I'd like around the £8000 mark however I've seen nothing to compare it to.
What's it worth?:crazy:

Cheers

Sammy

N.B. Pic now attached

Attachments

• 20160215_155311.jpg
    20160215_155311.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 489
Last edited:
A question for Andy Cruiser Guy Lomas methinks, if it's as good underneath as it looks on top, I don't think they come any 'mintier' than that!

Is there still plastic on the seats? :lol: It's cleaner than the cleanest thing in Cleansville :icon-cool:

Seriously, some underside and interior photos of all the best and worst it has to offer, will get you a more realistic answer Sammy. :thumbup:

What's the spec Sammy and can up put up some pics?

Cheers

Richie

Going off what people are asking for on ebay for heaps of junk, this ones worth about 2.35 million quid!

:text-yeahthat: Absolutely !!:laughing-rolling:

Come clean Sammy, this photo was taken 19 years ago, wasn't it, when it had 500 miles on the clock!

Well, if its all as good as the one photo it should command a far better than average price. That said straight away it falls off the premium perch being a GX as opposed to a VX as the "Plain Jane" cloth interior is not in my opinion as desirable as the VX leather or as comfortable but maybe this is not everyones view. One has to take into account this was a good bit cheaper than a VX when it was new.
The value of 80's is very subjective especially from 1 photo as there are numerous "if" s along the way. On the basis that the true valuation of anything is the auction price, without seeing it I'd say its worth £6K and if it was as mint and original as my GS underneath then up to £8K ( which I doubt).
Although business is business I would try to avoid falling into the trap of selling it to a trader only to see it being " upsold" by any of the known "upsellers"cos that will really spoil your day.

In mi opinion then:-
Average underneath/ better than average top and inside £6+k
Well above average underneath/ as good as it looks on top up to £8k
Varying factors influencing condition will shift the needle anywhere between.

Better to sell to a forum member if you can.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well, if its all as good as the one photo it should command a far better than average price. That said straight away it falls off the premium perch being a GX as opposed to a VX as the "Plain Jane" cloth interior is not in my opinion as desirable as the VX leather or as comfortable but maybe this is not everyones view. One has to take into account this was a good bit cheaper than a VX when it was new.
The value of 80's is very subjective especially from 1 photo as there are numerous "if" s along the way. On the basis that the true valuation of anything is the auction price, without seeing it I'd say its worth £6K and if it was as mint and original as my GS underneath then up to £8K ( which I doubt).
Although business is business I would try to avoid falling into the trap of selling it to a trader only to see it being " upsold" by any of the known "upsellers"cos that will really spoil your day.

In mi opinion then:-
Average underneath/ better than average top and inside £6+k
Well above average underneath/ as good as it looks on top up to £8k
Varying factors influencing condition will shift the needle anywhere between.

Better to sell to a forum member if you can.

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply Andy,

Yes the leather is subjective, but the cloth interior has held up well and is in very good condition.
I'll take your points on-board and if I advertise it, will price accordingly.
For a GX Amazon it seems fully loaded, what did the VX have that the GX hasn't?

Thanks again

Sammy

P.S. The photo was taken this afternoon Clive :teasing-neener:

I agree with andy most of the way. But, these trucks now are harder and harder to find Gs gx Vx. Yes the Vx is the one most want but we have a few out there who just want a good truck.

Im sure if you bought it you know how good the truck is. (What's it worth) is something we see all the time. It's worth what you want for it and what someone's wanting to pay. If your thinking 8k you must have seen people asking this for them. Try the market put a load of good photos up on here of the underside and everywhere else these old girls show the signs of their age. Maybe a forum member will snap it up if it shows to be one of the better ones. If she has faults in the places where we know they go then as andy says 6k maybe down to 4k.

Its never a case of (whats it worth ) I'm afraid.

The VX has a higher level of trim with leather seats (power adjust on fronts), wood trim on doors and facia, sliding factory sunroof, roof rails, a higher spec cd/radio system and some external trim differences including colour coded bumpers. All except the roof rails were options on the GX so it's possible a GX could have some. The engines and running gear are the same. One thing going for yours is that it's one of the last ones made so should be better than most condition wise especially with a good service history. As has been said some are not bothered about a leather interior and blingy trim but generally it does add value assuming it's in good condition of course. If it was mine and the underside matches the body condition wise I'd put it up at £7500. JMO

Thanks Towpack, I'll keep that in mind. I understand (from Google) that 1997 was the only year the Land Cruiser 80 was badged "Amazon".
Maybe that accounts for the extras. There is no wood trim though thankfully...!

It looks a beauty to me I bought a 1996 VX 4.2 last March with just a couple of minor touch up full service history one owner from New 165000 miles for 6k I bit his hand off you will regret selling that I'm sure

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sammy, where are you located and when can I come see the 80?

Lovely looking car, agree with most of the above and would add. If it is someone looking for one of these to look after and cherish it will be that person who buys it. On the other hand if it has no F & R lockers and the prospective buyer fancies some off roading he (or she) may see this as a no go vehicle. Re the seats, mine is a VX and has cloth, the code is in the chassis number. I have owned vehicle with leather seats, for the 'posh' look then they are great, when it come to the winter they are cold, when it comes to the summer they are hot. Mine suits the local climate perfectly and, if it had leather I would be looking to swap them for cloth. I have also noted the leather tends to collapse on the outer edges, finally becoming a rip, mine are as good as they were when new, even with my sylph like figure.....................oh alright...my 'comfy' figure.

The vehicle is worth what someone will pay for it.

regards

Dave

Hi Dave mine has leather seats with air con and warmers I'm thinking of having all new leather soon only drivers seat needs serious attention but I love my truck

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks Dave and Codsy.
Yes I remember seeing a few VX's with poor leather, the cloth seems to wear better.
Mine has heated seats, AC and all the toys you could want.
Also has centre, front and rear diff locks all engaging perfectly, I thought all UK models had these?
GeekOKent, I'm thinking about putting it up for sale next month.

Cheers

Sammy

Lovely looking car, agree with most of the above and would add. If it is someone looking for one of these to look after and cherish it will be that person who buys it. On the other hand if it has no F & R lockers and the prospective buyer fancies some off roading he (or she) may see this as a no go vehicle. Re the seats, mine is a VX and has cloth, the code is in the chassis number. I have owned vehicle with leather seats, for the 'posh' look then they are great, when it come to the winter they are cold, when it comes to the summer they are hot. Mine suits the local climate perfectly and, if it had leather I would be looking to swap them for cloth. I have also noted the leather tends to collapse on the outer edges, finally becoming a rip, mine are as good as they were when new, even with my sylph like figure.....................oh alright...my 'comfy' figure.

The vehicle is worth what someone will pay for it.

regards

Dave

As you probably know Dave, all UK spec Cruisers came with axle lockers so that one will deffo have them and hopefully they will work. Granted the leather seats are hot in summer but they are thicker and more comfortable and have a greater range of adjustment and aren't cold long in winter. I converted my GX to complete VX interior and have some half decent seat covers on but the seats are more comfortable. The cloth seats are very durable but the foam still collapses internally.
One thing I have found is that the drivers seats in a Cruiser are always in better condition if its had a predominantly female driver, both my 100 and Collie have great condition drivers seats and they both had "lady drivers".

There is a lot of personal preference in seating arrangement and so forth but, mine if I understood the paperwork correctly was ordered with the cloth option. Adjustment wise, mine has the usual forward/backward/recline, along with upper and lower (electric) lumber support and of course only used a couple of times there are the seat heaters.

Perhaps there are other adjustments I am not aware of on the leather units? I also find it odd that some convert to leather because it looks great and then fit covers?

Wear wise I would guess the female drivers are perhaps a little less well padded so less overall damage?

regards

Dave

Leather is and always be more durable than cloth IF it is looked after IMO. It's not maintenance free like cloth. I don't find them hot in Summer so long as I'm wearing something breathable like cotton. Women are generally lighter in stature and dare I say usually have, erm..., wider bottoms :thumbup: so the load is spread in the seat more.

There is a lot of personal preference in seating arrangement and so forth but, mine if I understood the paperwork correctly was ordered with the cloth option. Adjustment wise, mine has the usual forward/backward/recline, along with upper and lower (electric) lumber support and of course only used a couple of times there are the seat heaters.

Perhaps there are other adjustments I am not aware of on the leather units? I also find it odd that some convert to leather because it looks great and then fit covers?

Wear wise I would guess the female drivers are perhaps a little less well padded so less overall damage?

regards

Dave

It just goes to show the diversity of options for different markets, leather seats are a very unusual option in hot countries (obviously) but I've not come across electrically powered cloth seats before but thats because I:ve never seen any. All the cloth seats I'e seen have been manually operated except the electric lumbar and heated units.
Being vertically challenged I find that the thicker base and the fact the base rises up gives me a better seating position which with the cloth seats I'e come across I've not been able to achieve.
As for putting seat covers in leather seats, its a personal preference, they have the same degree of comfort but extend the life and condition of the leather seats by protecting them from wear, dirt,bright sunlight etc.
If I lived in hotter climes cloth would be my option.

Every one to their own.

Back