Land Cruiser Club Morocco Guide - GPS Follow-on

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Brilliant - thanks guys.

Some of that I've seen, but the map is great! Another good site to look at is Tracks4Africa which does decent tracks and waypoints for all your Garmin maps - it gets regularly updated and is pretty cheap ...

Cheers

Re: Land Cruiser Club Morocco Guide (please contribute)

Electronic Maps

Being a bit of a map geek, I have tried three different maps for Morocco

The best IMO but you have to pay for it is Garmin TOPO Morocco and it's routable

The second best just (I would not pay for the one above) is Olaf's Map which is free :D

The third best IMO (sorry Gary this is just for Morocco) T4A

As an add on a guild to make new format (Topo, gmp) Garmin Maps compatible with nRoute, which you need for Garmin Topo if you use nRoute.

I know i've asked this before but can someone recommend a usb gps antenna please.
Also, what is the name of that software that you can feed any scanned map into and it will work after a little calibration, thnk it might be an aussie thing?

Do you play with OziExplorer at all? Some nice features there for dragging in aerial pics and other maps and calibrating them and then using those on your GPS.

Cheers

Land Cruiser Club Morocco Guide (please contribute) 1

Paul said:
I know i've asked this before but can someone recommend a usb gps antenna please.
Also, what is the name of that software that you can feed any scanned map into and it will work after a little calibration, thnk it might be an aussie thing?

Memory Map can do that guide here

Just for info. nRoute will not work with a non Garmin GPS unless you fool it with something like GPSGate. I use Garmin for an easy life.

Yep - I'm running GPSGate on my MemoryMap and Garmin stuff happily with my USB GPS receiver. But I need to spend more time with MApSource I suspect - it looks like a lot more powerful than I reckoned. Maybe a navigation class required sometime??

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mapsource / nRoute are really good and there are loads of free maps around.

You can have a travel log of everywhere you have been, like a bread crumb trail.

Click on various points and it routes in between. (route-able maps)

View you route in google maps.

Swap routes and travel logs with others.

Review travel logs in days, see how far others traveled per day and where they stopped.

These Mapsource For Dummies guides are really good, but I guess it makes a lot more sense if you could play with a UK map to get the hang of it.

Hi Pugwash, that gps antenna was really good then? i need to buy one so would you reccommend it?

Paul,

Yes i would recommend it for a number of reasons: Its waterproof, works really well (picks up loads of satellites quickly etc), is very very hardy, has a magnet in the bottom etc etc

One big proviso though- you need to download a program called "sirfdemo" that allows you to reset the GPS if it crashes (its happened twice to me in 2 years) as you cannot get it to work without this program. its also a good idea to makea copy of the software that comes on teh CD as its virtually impossible to install without it! Most of the problems occur if you accidently disconnect it whilst in use, or you have to constanly remove and re-install your PC/GPS unit.

If you are going to install it once and leave it connected for the foreseeable future then i would definitely recommend it- if you are going to be constantly unplugging and re-plugging like i do then i would take account of the proviso's above.

HTH

Jim

Thanks for that, not quite sure what setup i'll be using, its looking like a PC tablet so will be removed often. I was looking at laptop with remote screen but can't find a good quality screen which also applies to a carputor.

Does anyone know if a handheld GPS can be used as an antenna for a laptop/tablet as this would be good for doubling up purposes and emergencies. Also, can things like a thurya sat phone be used for this too?

Paul said:
Does anyone know if a handheld GPS can be used as an antenna for a laptop/tablet as this would be good for doubling up purposes and emergencies.

Yes that will work (with the right model anyway) and is just what a lot of people do.

Paul said:

I just run with one from eBay - they are cheap and cheerful. I've not found a particular brand, just generic ones - the key thing though is to open it and seal it properly if mounting outside of the vehicle.

Paul said:

Three years ago I checked out TOuratech and Ozi Explorer - both should allow you to import maps and calibrate them. I found Ozi too unorthodox to pick up quickly so went with Touratech and managed to scam some old IGN maps for Morocco for free off the web.

I run an expansys antenna and the GPSGate software - works very well, and the antenna is waterproof:

l142537.jpg

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=142537

From the site:

The MR-350 is a “mini” external GPS receiver, which utilizes a bulkhead (through-hole) mounting design for applications that require a more permanent weatherproof mounting solution. The built-in GPS receiver is self-contained with the latest “20” channel SiRF Star III high performance GPS chipset for accurate positioning and an active patch antenna.

They also do a USB one ...

Cheers

Tracks 4 Africa appears to be available on SD card - Does this mean I could put it into my Garmin 660 sat nav and It will work???

Andy Walker said:
Tracks 4 Africa appears to be available on SD card - Does this mean I could put it into my Garmin 660 sat nav and It will work???

Is the 660 a Nuvi? If so, then yes it should. T4A should work on all Nuvi's.

Back