Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser KDJ150L DPF problem.

denisg

Country Flag
belgium
I have a Land Cruiser KDJ150L-GKFEYW with a 1KDFTV ( 3.0 D) motor build in 2011. I think it must have been one of the first with a DPF ( catalyst + DPF in one).

I have ~115000 km and I ‘m a short distance driver -:(

I had recently a DPF problem.

My DPF led was blinking + MIL led (motor block) was on, 4Lo led was blinking and traction control led was on. Obviously, the regeneration process was not successful. I got a ‘P2463’ error.

I have cleaned the DPF thoroughly (Wijnn’s chemical product) , cleaned the ERG valve, inlet manifold and all surroundings. EGR and surroundings were not that dirty …..

After clearing the P2463 DTC and disconnected the battery for a couple of hours, all my errors on the display were gone except a steady DPF regeneration led…

I started a ride on the highway, and I monitored the car with Toyota ‘s “techstream” I saw directly that the DPF regeneration started. The exhaust temperature rose to ~470 C. After some time the DPF led started blinking again and minutes later MIL led and others started blinking also…..

So back to the beginning …

I did not see anything special on the ‘Techstream” ‘s Data List. During the whole ride the max ‘DPF Differential Pressure” was ~ 6 Kpa at 3000 rpm ( on idle 0.4 -0.6) ...

The only thing that worries me is the high ‘PM accumulation ratio’ ( = 208 %). This was already so high on the beginning of the ride. Does somebody knows if this parameter can be reset via ‘Techstream’ ? I do not see any utility to do that.
All tips and suggestions are welcome

Thanks.

Yours has lasted well. Mine is now sat at the dealer, 5 months old and 8000 miles. DPF says it's full despite regenerating fine 2 days ago.

From your description of the DPF regeneration process, the exhaust temperature is reaching high enough levels, but the DPF led is still blinking, which is indicating that the regeneration process is not successful.

Last edited:
In theory it sees the dpf is full or filling up, so it initiates a regen. At the end of the regen it again checks the pressure differential across the dpf to make sure the regen has been successful. If it still sees a big difference it concludes the dpf is full and sets the code. In other words, your dpf is full and needs replacing. They dont last forever, so its time maybe up.

I understand (from John Cadogan) that on newer Toyotas the driver has the ability to trigger a static regen via the dash menu, trucks have had this ability to manually trigger regen for some time, sometimes needed if you have to cancel a regen...ie in my case no wishing to blow superheated exhaust directly at a dry foodtsuffs silo i was at the time pressurising.
Have Toyota yet come with a retro fit modification to enable owners of older Cruisers/Hilux etc to have some control over regens? might be worth asking the question.

John Cadoggan wasn't keen but i'm a bit more positive in that the world and people's use of vehicles isn't perfect, as an owner driver unless you were completely ignorant of things mechanical you the driver would know when a suitable time for triggering a regen, active or static, was pertinent and convenient, more chance of keeping the things healthy i would have thought.

Alternatively there are commercial solutions to DPF cleaning, need to remove the thing and send it off.

I run a small fleet of minibuses, all diesel and it's surprisingly common to have one or more vehicle down with adBlue/DPF issues (Ford Transits seem to be especially prone - had one at a Ford garage, for their software, it was with them for months).. It's generally sensors that are at fault. Nitrous oxide sensors, pressure sensors, but some of the solutions at times seem a little bit hit or miss.
Good luck with getting it sorted mate.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back