Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Rover to ditch Defender?

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
Land Rover mulling ending iconic truck

I for one would be sad to see them go as the Defender overlander fraternity are just as passionate. Tata sees more in new launches like Evoque. I'm sure Defenders will hang around for years to come - a lot of spare parts companies will depend on it.

A positive byproduct would be Toyota considering more 70 series models in the UK but Europe-wide emission/safety laws are impacting all truck futures by the looks.

Nah, just an advertising ploy. Like Heinz when they said they were going to stop making salad cream. Sales went mental.

Great way to boost LR interest. We want to keep making the Defender but we don't think we are going to be allowed to.

:eusa-liar:

We'll see I guess. Don't think I shall be putting my name down for the last off the production line. Especially if it's a Friday.

C

Thing is I love the look of the Defender, but having never owned one I will heed everyone elses advice.... will still be a sad day if they do stop making them, although I tend to agree with you Chris in that this could just be another marketing strategy....

defenders look great! :clap:

but there horrible to drive on the road! :thumbdown:

my boss came in my 70 yesterday for the 100 mile trip back from wales, and he said that my 70 is so much more comfortable than his 90, he couldnt believe it.
and thats despite the fact one of my front shocks is knackered to the point the steering wheel shakes and vibrates violently most of the time, it over heats going up steep hills, due to the rad being knackered, electrical fault meaning the alternator is trying to over charge the batteries all the time, so i have to have the headlights, fan blower, and stereo on all the time to keep the voltage down, the clutch keeps failing as the master cylinder is leaking clutch fluid, and the fact the little 2.4 engine is so gutless and underpowered with the 35" tyres! :lol:

definitely a good time for a strip down and rebuild, and hopefully a new engine this month! :thumbup:

I'm sure there will be a replacement, much like the disco the chassis will be made by a third party.

But I'm amazed how the defender has managed to stay as production vehicle for so long they are so bad! I have the misfortune to drive them on sites occasionally, the last one was a few weeks old and was squeaking and rattling like a 20year old shed, they have ergonomics engineered in reverse!

I really fancy a series 1 landy (my dad had one when I was a boy) and I can forgive all of the sort comings in a vehicle of that age but a new defender ?.......

Why didn't Yota market the 70 in the UK and Europe harder 20 years ago?

Looks like it was marketing as there are more reports that a new model will be unveiled in September.

The interesting quote in the article was:
However, for the project to be viable, Land Rover would need to sell around 60,000 to 80,000 units annually, which will be a tough task considering sales of the current model reached just 18,000 units last year--mostly to military buyers.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
From what I've seen I don't think it will be constructed like a current model at all. It'll be more like a small discovery type vehicle, with current unibody construction techniques.

Hope the out the drivers window in the right place.

Sent from TapaTalk

Back