Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser vs. well... all the rest

Nathan,

I worked for BMW & Audi for a while, whilst at Audi an A6 Avant 3.0TDi was my weapon of choice - great looking car, good drive but beaten hands down by the equiv 5 series or E class for handling!

A6 in 3.0TDi is a great drive, the 2.7tdi id good, but I think the 2.5Tdi's are underpowered.

A8's are a great car, the old shape is an awesome car - a la Ronin. Used to be the Bank Robbers (getaway) car of choice.
Or for great value for money a VW Phaeton 3.0TDi or 5.0TDi !!!

Jon Wildsmith said:
As a make they seem well engineered and put together but I don't know much about A6's (or A8's really yet). You'd be best asking on one of the Audi forums if you haven't already. I spent a couple of hours looking at A8's on Autotrader and decided I'd give one a try and sell the 100, there was no proper research involved, just Autotrader and a test drive :) Thinking about it I think Karl said he has an A6 maybe he'll comment.

Jon

I don't think you get it? WHAT YOU SAY, MATTERS! If you starred in the movie Ronin, you would be SAM (AKA: Robert De Niro). :cool:

John

Jon Wildsmith said:
As a make they seem well engineered and put together but I don't know much about A6's (or A8's really yet). You'd be best asking on one of the Audi forums if you haven't already. I spent a couple of hours looking at A8's on Autotrader and decided I'd give one a try and sell the 100, there was no proper research involved, just Autotrader and a test drive :) Thinking about it I think Karl said he has an A6 maybe he'll comment.

I've got to put the 100 in the body shop for a few scratches etc, but once she's gone I'll be scouring Autotrader / Ebay. I'm always a bit nervous of asking folk on forums how good their cars are. Generally speaking if you are enthusiastic enough to join a forum, you're probably a bit biased. LC forum is an exception of course, being the best 4 x 4 in the world! ;-)

Sounds like I'll be downsizing to 2 x 3.0 TDIs then :)

Well I think the fuel issue is effecting us all!

I run the fuel for my 4.2TD (19mpg with the lift kit and oversize tyres) through my company but I just couldn't justify keeping it on the road when it was costing alot more just in desiel each month (£700) than my business partners new lease Merc E Class (E250 CDI 15,000 miles a year £375 a month plus 45mpg)

But instead of selling it's been put out to pasture and is now only used for family holiday's, shooting and towing the boat!

I couldn't sign up to a new car for three years, (I'd get bored, the LC100 is the first 'everyday' car that I've kept more than 18months) so instead took the plunge and bought an 55,000mile 06 Jaguar XJ 2.7TDVI Sport for £10K, done 7,000 miles in 10 weeks at 38mpg.

Couldn't be happier :D

Today I got stuck behind a Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 dCi Aventura and I have to admit, I was impressed. As a no nonsense utility truck, along with the Nissan Patrol, these two trucks represent not only good value for money but also great engineering. Alas I'm not parting with my LC100 anytime soon. If I had the money though, I would love to be the proud owner of a Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX STI. That would really satisfy my need for speed.

John

I'm sure that I get higher than 19mpg out of my LC??

A bit academic at £0.11p per litre :cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
nathanrobo said:

Cheap as chips motoring if ever there was one.......If you don't mind the pun! :cool: Nathan, do you do much business in South Africa? I'm planning to run a LC100 there in the NOT too distant future and would love to run it on BioFuel.

John

Dark Dude said:
nathanrobo said:

Cheap as chips motoring if ever there was one.......If you don't mind the pun! :cool: Nathan, do you do much business in South Africa? I'm planning to run a LC100 there in the NOT too distant future and would love to run it on BioFuel.

John

Hi John

I don't think i've done anything in SA. I mainly do UK, Bits of Europe inc Greece & E. Europe, Australia is a regular one, U.S & Canada.

I'll dig around to see whether bio is being made out there. I know it's emerging in China and India right now. Nothing like SA but I went down to the bottom of Cornwall last year with a large caravan hitched, the six kids, provisions and 350 litres of fuel in both cars, ran around for 3 weeks and only bought £30 of fuel on the way back. Will you have an expedition tank? How much could you take with you?

Back