Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser vs. well... all the rest

nathanrobo

I know this subject has been done to death and of course any LC owner would clearly support their preferred choice, but I could help but share this one as it's from the Financial Times (linked from Overland Cruisers):

http://www.howtospendit.com/#!/articles ... domination

I've always heard it said by Ausies "if you want to go to the out back, take a lR, if you want to go to the out back and come back take a LC"

Sorry, but, must be the 3rd time it's posted here.

Sorry! I've not been on the site so much recently! Is it my imagination or has the site gone a little quiet?

nathanrobo said:
Is it my imagination or has the site gone a little quiet?
It's a little quieter than usual I think :think:

I know that Jon got rid of his Landcruiser - wanted a change. Do you think there is any particular reason?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
nathanrobo said:
I know that Jon got rid of his Landcruiser - wanted a change. Do you think there is any particular reason?

Need for speed (distorts the senses). Jon already knows what I think so I won't repeat myself here. I have a sister who drives a Range Rover Sport, a father that drives a Ford Maverick and a good mate of mine with a Mk3 Disco and NONE of them comes near to my LC100 for sheer performance, build quality and on the road presence. Jon's ex motor was (is) the nearest thing to that I've ever come close to something unstoppable. I have family and friends in South Africa and they swear by Toyota's best in class. Period. I can't see myself driving any other car for a very, very long time.....That's my two cent.

John

Dark Dude said:
adrianr said:
Jon is looking for an 80 24v manual IIRC

Really! News to me.....I'd love to see Jon go for something like this for his next project:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Land-C ... 415ac6c207

I think it's the perfect combination between a speed wagon and a good sized off roader, with loads of JW potential but that's just my opinion....

John

looks a lovely motor but i think the seller is dreaming with the price especially as its a catD

joe

nathanrobo said:
Never happy with what I've got? Starting to feel that way :roll: Loved my 100 till I realized I wasn't going to be using it for what it was built for. Loved the A8 till I started thinking seriously about longevity and all those electronics. A manual 80 would be right back to basics, maybe a bit too back to basics, hard to say without living with one again. Fallen back in love with the A8 a bit over the weekend, dragging the tin tent to Anglesey and back with the options going round and round in my head :doh:

silvercruiser said:
Dark Dude said:
adrianr said:
Jon is looking for an 80 24v manual IIRC

Really! News to me.....I'd love to see Jon go for something like this for his next project:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Land-C ... 415ac6c207

I think it's the perfect combination between a speed wagon and a good sized off roader, with loads of JW potential but that's just my opinion....

John

looks a lovely motor but i think the seller is dreaming with the price especially as its a catD

Man, How did I miss that? The seller MUST be off his/her rocker but I digress. The world would be a better place with JW back behind the wheel of a proper truck. Sorry Jon but I can't say different......No way!

John

joe

I thought about 120's John but that one is way over priced and they have enough electronics and none field serviceable parts that it wouldn't gain anything in that respect over the A8 really. Same comments apply to a 100 whereas on an 80 there's not a lot that I can't fix at the side of the road. Can't deny that after test driving a very nice completely standard 80 (not for sale :( ) a bit more ride comfort / less harshness / less noise would be nice though. In terms of comfort, power, towing our tin tent etc the A8 is awesome, much better than any cruiser I've used but all that complexity is a worry.

(un)fortunately you'll never be where the AA or RAC can't get to you :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Stockton said:
(un)fortunately you'll never be where the AA or RAC can't get to you :-(
Not sure about never but not in the next few years no, hence ditching the 100. So I don't *need* a proper 4x4 but I can't quite settle in the A8 and I've got it into my head that simplicity is the answer at the moment.

So an imported 76 series then, seeing as the 200 is even worse for electonics.

FFFFFF.jpg

It is a bit agricultural though - 1HZ only in SA. Not sure what the Aussies get - suspect the 4.5 V8, single turbo, minimal electronics .... but for the ECU :(

We've wandered a long way off topic! Don't fancy those Gary, don't know why just never have :)

Jon

I've been thinking bout a couple of A6 Estate 2.5TDI or bigger... What do you reckon?

btw I had LC's for 10 years now but only towed a caravan once with it, the odd trailer to the tip, played in the snow a bit. They've both lugged all 6 kids around! Oldest in 18 now and I think it may be time to down size a little.

What should I look out for / pay? Wanted '05 ish models... are they any good?

As a make they seem well engineered and put together but I don't know much about A6's (or A8's really yet). You'd be best asking on one of the Audi forums if you haven't already. I spent a couple of hours looking at A8's on Autotrader and decided I'd give one a try and sell the 100, there was no proper research involved, just Autotrader and a test drive :) Thinking about it I think Karl said he has an A6 maybe he'll comment.

Back