Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landrover 530

Brian S

Country Flag
england
Anyone heard of such a vehicle?

Speaking to a guy today on the campsite (working there for a week) who had a ginormus great Yank Motorhome
30ft long, about 11ft high, and weighs 9 tons.
We were talking about Yank Caravans and vehicles to tow them, and he said that the firm in Mildenhall said Yank Pick ups, they weigh more than 3.5 ton which is needed to tow Caravans longer than 7 metres, and wider than 2.29m, even though they are under the tow weight of "The Collie" (wtf, only in Britain though)

They also said another alternative was a Landrover 530, if you can find one
Curiosity got the better of me, so I googled said vehicle, Zilch, Nothing.

Now is this like Santa, and Robin Hood, but a mythical unheard of legend???

Would that be 5:30 in the morning, how long past midnight it lasted before breaking down?
:)

Is he talking about a rangerover ? Bmw own them now and they do a 530 engine i think ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Whatever this vehicle is, it weighs more than 3.5 t, so it's not a run of the mill motor
Most Landys and Rangys go around the 2 to 2 1/2 t mark

Could it be that the guy was American and every landrover he has seen was on the back of an AA lorry :lol:

I am told the Disco 3s are 3.5 tonnes out the factory though lord only knows why.

I am told the Disco 3s are 3.5 tonnes out the factory though lord only knows why.

That's tow capacity. They only weigh about 2.5 tons. A LC200 is 3.3 tons. You need to have a vehicle weighing more than 3.5 tons to tow a trailer more than 7m long.

Looks like a Toyota Tundra fits the bill. Shame they are so unbelievably ugly.

It seems that it is the maximum vehicle mass that is over 3 tonnes but the vehicle starts out around 2600kg or thereabouts. Just goes to show that both LR owners I heard this from don't know the weight of their vehicle. :icon-rolleyes:

I believe 530 might refer to the heavier plated defenders that you could get as a special order, these were on a heavy duty chassis and plated to tow up to 5.3 tonnes. They're rare beasts though.

Some light on the matter, not that I'd want to drive a defender.
Driven one before, the most uncomfortable drive I've ever had

According to the VIN plate 4.2 tonnes if I've read it correctly.

And it's a 105 (nice).

And it's a simpleton 1HZ (nice).

Shame about the door though...

OME sell suspension kits to up the GVW (or GVM as Australians call it). What I don't know is how you then get the car re-plated to reflect that.

I've read there are places that people take pick ups to get them replated to tow 5th wheel caravans

According to the VIN plate 4.2 tonnes if I've read it correctly.

And it's a 105 (nice).

And it's a simpleton 1HZ (nice).

Shame about the door though...

Nice, now that beats a Defender hands down

Back