Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Laning on Salisbury Plain - photos

diggerdave

Last month my fiancee and I met up with some old hands for a guided tour of Salisbury Plain or as ex-army types know it, Salisbury Plain Training Area. That's because although there is a mass of really good unsurfaced byways and unclassified road, you have to share it with the army. That's also why it's a good idea to have friends who know where they're going as it's easy to stray off the permitted tracks into the military areas. Seeing tanks or other mobile weaponry is not uncommon on the tarmac, let alone the unsurfaced roads. Our trip took us past Germany Village (specially built in the 80s to train for Cold War scenarios and recently updated to include middle east areas, and strictly off limits).

Many of the unsurfaced roads are nice field-edge lanes and farm tracks, but there are some that have been turned into mud baths by the military vehicles that also use them. There aren't many photos of those because we were having too much fun to take photos. The final one is on the byway that runs past a famous landmark... the byway is nothing special, but driving past Stonehenge is pretty cool

DSCF8590.jpg

DSCF8630.jpg

DSCF8669.jpg

DSCF8655.jpg

DSCF8657.jpg

DSCF8698.jpg

A few of us from the forum met at Salisbury in May i think it was . https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/an-early-summer-meeting-2016.144301/page-9

As you were asking about Lincomb in another thread i wasn't sure where to post the link because if i say Salisbury was a first for me and while there i met 3 guys i had met before at Lincomb , another guy i'd met briefly at last years overland show , a couple i met in their house in Bognor Regis because he had made a part for me to collect all arranged via the forum and several guys i had never met before at all , it was a great weekend and it does give a good idea how club meets play out .

What a load of great landcruisers. I'm used to being the only one when I'm out laning (amid a sea of green ovals and/or pick ups). I fear I might get 80-envy if I come to a club meet though

Nah you will enjoy the covert envy when you do a u-turn instead of a 4 point turn :laughing-rolling: your on your own at a club meet really nobody nannies anybody it just so happens we are all doing the same thing and getting stuck just helps somebody show off his winch , its all very laid back .

Haha. Good point. I guess they're not quite in the same league as LR110s though!

Great post Dave, as you know by now, we love photos!

80 envy? Maybe... :think:

I await seeing who pulls who out of the Lincomb mud :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good people. I've got an automatic Prado, would she be ok in these conditions with decent tires? I'm based in Fareham, Hampshire and would love to meet up with some of you next year at some point to do this or something like this. Any views? Cheers, Simon

Hi Bert
I have done the plain many times in a 95 on at tyres. You just need to read the terrain and know what is possible if it looks iffy don't do it.

Bert, in our party was an unlifted ford ranger on standard size AT tyres (albeit with an experienced driver at the wheel) and it did everything that the others did. So you should have no problem - the whole point of green laning is that you shouldn't need a heavily modified vehicle except for a very small handful of technical lanes

If you've not done laning before and you can't find a club run I recommend joining a guided tour. There are several companies out there and you pay c.50-80 quid for a day and get a guide who (a) knows the legal routes (a tedious but necessary requirement), (b) can give you tips on how to get through difficult stuff, (c) can recue your car if it all goes wrong

If you want to find out more, join GLASS to get access to Trailwise, a database of legal lanes and a wealth of advice. (GLASS also campaign to keep our non-tarmac roads open because sadly there are selfish people out there who campaign to stop people's pastimes if they don't approve of them o_O)

Bert, in our party was an unlifted ford ranger on standard size AT tyres (albeit with an experienced driver at the wheel) and it did everything that the others did. So you should have no problem - the whole point of green laning is that you shouldn't need a heavily modified vehicle except for a very small handful of technical lanes

If you've not done laning before and you can't find a club run I recommend joining a guided tour. There are several companies out there and you pay c.50-80 quid for a day and get a guide who (a) knows the legal routes (a tedious but necessary requirement), (b) can give you tips on how to get through difficult stuff, (c) can recue your car if it all goes wrong

If you want to find out more, join GLASS to get access to Trailwise, a database of legal lanes and a wealth of advice. (GLASS also campaign to keep our non-tarmac roads open because sadly there are selfish people out there who campaign to stop people's pastimes if they don't approve of them o_O)

Hi Diggerdave. Thanks for the info. I've seen a few of the guided clubs online before. It would make sense for me to do that. Will have to wait till I upgrade my tires though as she's still shod with road tires at present and it won't be till early next year now. I'm going to have to be bloody patient. Cheers, Simon

Hi Ian. I'm off Gudgeheath Lane....

Just around the corner, I'm down Bishopsfield by the college.
Best not hijack this thread too much but there's quite a few of us down in the south now. Maybe it's time to arrange south coast meet up?

Back