Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Law on animals feeling pain, on the scrap heap?

. The removal of this law would, for example allow less than humane means of slaughter, such as those used to produce halal meat,

I don't think this is true. This is currently legislation in the U.K. and slaughter without pre-stunning is legal.

I don't think this is true. This is currently legislation in the U.K. and slaughter without pre-stunning is legal.
This is technically correct, in that exemptions are allowed on religious grounds however non stunning is strongly discouraged. My point is that removing the law would make non stunning seem more acceptable.

A quick Google to educate myself on this, revealed this from the RSPCA.
https://www.rspca.org.uk/getinvolved/campaign/slaughter

The stunning of animals pre slaughter is a preferable but not always effective method, I’ve seen sheep hoisted at an abattoir that were definitely not unconscious before being bled out. As always, it’s down to proper respect for the animals, seeing them as sentient beings rather than merely economic units. If an animal is being moved for herd or flock improvement or fattening, then its care during transportation is important to maintain its condition and value, and appropriate care is usually taken. No problem with that under current licensing and legislation, but If the export is for slaughter, then all control over the care of the animal once they leave the UK is down to where ever the destination is (some outside the EU) and the countries that they travel through. I know that there are transporters that provide proper care for their cargo, arrange proper lairage en route, maintain adequate vehicle water supplies and check on the animals regularly, but there are others that don’t (I’ve seen the results), it costs money.

Cattle know their fate at least a mile before they reach the abattoir but alas life's not perfect and it never will be so i have no time for rules aimed at making it so .

Not signed because it is more important to be cost effective and efficient in order to advance the industry .
So preventing cruelty is a utopia? The reason we have basic human rights is that the "the life is shit , we can't do anything about that" brigade are thankfully ignored.why is it more important for the meat industry to make even bigger profits?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It swings in roundabouts goodoldboy any farmer knows that stressed livestock is not profitable and so he/she puts a great deal of effort , for very little profit , into ensuring the well being of their animals . The increased cost of slaughter would , as it always is , be passed down to the little man who is already robbing Peter to pay Paul .

Even the most ardent animal lover cannot provide care he cannot afford , he has no means to do it , and ultimately either the animals suffer for it or he sells the farm to some multinational conglomerate who will have the livestock nailed to a conveyor belt for convenience .

I'm not arguing for or against i'm just offering my opinion as my conscience dictates it .

It swings in roundabouts goodoldboy any farmer knows that stressed livestock is not profitable and so he/she puts a great deal of effort , for very little profit , into ensuring the well being of their animals . The increased cost of slaughter would , as it always is , be passed down to the little man who is already robbing Peter to pay Paul .

Even the most ardent animal lover cannot provide care he cannot afford , he has no means to do it , and ultimately either the animals suffer for it or he sells the farm to some multinational conglomerate who will have the livestock nailed to a conveyor belt for convenience .

I'm not arguing for or against i'm just offering my opinion as my conscience dictates it .
The little man always gets shafted Shayne & relaxing standards won't change that.Government changes legislation at the behest of powerful interests who will be the winners in this.Opinion has changing here in Spain as regards to animal rights but wealthy & well connected landowners , who receive large subsidies , are fighting a rear guard action with similar arguments.As for concern about farmers livelihoods no mercy was shown to miners , Dockers , shipyard workers or steelworkers.Entire communities were destroyed & will never recover.

Last edited:
Back