Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC200 AHC problem

Tony Malden

Country Flag
china
Hi Guys,

Before posting I did a search to see if there's anything similar that has been discussed on the forum but couldn't find any.

My truck is just over two years old with some 15K on the clock. I did use it for off roading and bumpy roads. One day quite recently someone said the LC didn't look quite right with one side appeared much higher than the other. Then I noticed the driver side (my LC is left hand drive) is some 5cm lower. Then I tried the Hi and Low buttons to find they did work properly. I also feel the vehicle pulls to the right slightly, not going straight.

It seems it does move Hi or Low a bit when the bttons are pressed but just can't get to the designated Hi or Low position. Half way going up or low it would return to the Normal. It seems the AHC struggles to respond to the instruction and can't finish it. At some odd time it does go up to Hi as it should, but very rarely.

Fluid level is ok. Local Toyota garage not good enough for this probelm. They couldn't find the cause.

It drives ok and you don't feel it when driving. It had an accident not long ago with the lower back gate replaced but I can't imagine if that has anything to do with the AHC.

Problem is the 5.7 version is not an offcial Toyota import but through some independent dealers. So the Toyota garage technicians are not familiar with this vhicle.

Any thought?

Hi Guys,

Before posting I did a search to see if there's anything similar that has been discussed on the forum but couldn't find any.

My truck is just over two years old with some 15K on the clock. I did use it for off roading and bumpy roads. One day quite recently someone said the LC didn't look quite right with one side appeared much higher than the other. Then I noticed the driver side (my LC is left hand drive) is some 5cm lower. Then I tried the Hi and Low buttons to find they did work properly. I also feel the vehicle pulls to the right slightly, not going straight.

It seems it does move Hi or Low a bit when the bttons are pressed but just can't get to the designated Hi or Low position. Half way going up or low it would return to the Normal. It seems the AHC struggles to respond to the instruction and can't finish it. At some odd time it does go up to Hi as it should, but very rarely.

Fluid level is ok. Local Toyota garage not good enough for this probelm. They couldn't find the cause.

It drives ok and you don't feel it when driving. It had an accident not long ago with the lower back gate replaced but I can't imagine if that has anything to do with the AHC.

Problem is the 5.7 version is not an offcial Toyota import but through some independent dealers. So the Toyota garage technicians are not familiar with this vhicle.

Any thought?
Hi Tony,

Just because it's a 5.7 should not be a problem with regard to the rest of your 200, the AHC should be the same in all the AHC equipped 200's, I know it is in all the AHC equipped 100's. As you are saying it's only the 5.7 that is unusual in China

The only thing I can think of off hand, is the hight sensors might be out of sync, I have a 100 with AHC, so I presume the 200's AHC is very similar.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tony,

Just because it's a 5.7 should not be a problem with regard to the rest of your 200, the AHC should be the same in all the AHC equipped 200's, I know it is in all the 100 equipped 100's. As you are saying it's only the 5.7 that is unusual in China

The only thing I can think of off hand, is the hight sensors might be out of sync, I have a 100 with AHC, so I presume the 200's AHC is very similar.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks for that. If it's the hight sensors out of sync, how should it be adjusted? Yes I think you're right it should be the same as the LC 100. Cheers.

Thanks for that. If it's the hight sensors out of sync, how should it be adjusted? Yes I think you're right it should be the same as the LC 100. Cheers.
If you can't find anything on here, you might wan't to have a look at https://www.ih8mud.com/ it's an American Land Cruiser/Lexus site, there are a lot more 200/LX570 in the USA and a lot more 5.7 petrol's.

With regard to your level problem, you need to park on some level flat ground to take measurements, then as a rule of thumb, mesure from the centre of the road wheel up to the lip/bottom of the wing/fender on all four wheels, this should be done with the car in 'N' the fronts should both the same side to side, and rears should be the same from side to side, but the rear might be a llittle higher. I think this would be a good starting point, I don't know what the measurements should be for the 200, but should be similar to the 100, I would have thought.

Front 19.75 inches

Rear 20.5 inches

BTW, the Land Cruiser 200 and the Lexus LX570 are almost the same, and are the same when it comes to the AHC.

I have had nothing to do with the 200 series, only the 100 series.

Hope this helps, a bit.

index.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To adjust anything on the AHC you really need a Toyota 'Hand Held Tester' like they use at the dealers, or Techstream with a Minivic cable, but I'm not sure if Techstream works with the 200 series, we in the UK get the Techstream and Minivic cable kit from eBay.

Is any error the toyota garage would be able to clear/reset?

You can buy a dongle and use it with techstream by yourself. Maybe you are able to help yourself.

The ODB2 Mini VCI Dongle is one part. At the ih8mud Forum you can optain many informations about AHC including the default values, how they should look.

img_6049-jpg.2153886.jpg

The AHC has is own sensors, a bigger error should lead to a message on your Display too..

For people for travelling abroad with such a beast - we should prepare too in the diagnostic stuff....

Therefore I did cary that VCI Dongle through africa and was able to clear some errors - mostly about EGR Exhaust related because of bad fuel on my Landcruiser 200 (with AHC)

Surfy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Does it have the KDSS (Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System)? If so and you have had the car on a two post hoist you can get height problems. It's not hard to fix - yoy can find the way to do it on the net. It is standard equipment on VX and Saharas here in Australia and a common option on the GXL. Basically it is a hydraulically operated anti roll system and it works a treat.

I have no answer to your problem - but I have another problem on this issue
I own a Toyota Land Cruiser 200 2009 diesel v8
vin JTMHV05J704026996
I am trying to find material about oil replacement in ahc system.
Can anyone help me on this ???
Thanks in advance to the assistants

Hi,

Only use genuine Toyota AHC fluid, and I would think the procedure is the same or very similar to to changing the AHC fluid on a 100 series.

Good luck.

Does it have the KDSS (Kineti
c Dynamic Suspension System)? If so and you have had the car on a two post hoist you can get height problems. It's not hard to fix - yoy can find the way to do it on the net. It is standard equipment on VX and Saharas here in Australia and a common option on the GXL. Basically it is a hydraulically operated anti roll system and it works a treat.

@ctiley could you provide some more details? My rig spent some time on a two post hoist recently and it leans a bit. Left side is lower than the right side. It is an European KDSS+AHC equipped J200 (left-hand drive). The AHC seems to be not responding properly although I managed to lift it to HI mode and it seemed more level in that mode. But as soon as I go over 30 km/h the AHC goes back to neutral mode and I can feel the vehicle leans again.

@ctiley could you provide some more details? My rig spent some time on a two post hoist recently and it leans a bit. Left side is lower than the right side. It is an European KDSS+AHC equipped J200 (left-hand drive). The AHC seems to be not responding properly although I managed to lift it to HI mode and it seemed more level in that mode. But as soon as I go over 30 km/h the AHC goes back to neutral mode and I can feel the vehicle leans again.
As I said in my post there is a lot of information about KDSS in many forums, especially this one about resetting the KDSS if you have had it on a hoist (or lift 0r ramp - depending where you are), a lot more information than I can give you.
I know nothing about the AHC system or how it works in conjunction with KDSS, I have no doubt they are connected in some way.
It involves opening some valves somewhere under the car to allow the hydraulic fluid to centralise itself, I believe. Search KDSS and I'm sure you will have more information than you need. Also you can source CD's with the Toyota Workshop manuals for no money on eBay and similar which will also have what you need. You will need the information for left hand drive (the wrong side ;-) ) vehicles.

Back